Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-06-2005, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would say... 15 to 19 unloaded.. as low as 9 if you are pulling a really heavy trailer.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcopterdoc
I would say... 15 to 19 unloaded.. as low as 9 if you are pulling a really heavy trailer.
thanks xcopterdoc,
that's what i wanted to see, i sure don't see how he could call what mine is as being normal.
basically where my mileage started is where it should still be. right?
how about warranty any idea?
Old 03-06-2005, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 1996 that did the same when I got it. When that happened, my service center recommended that the fuel filter be changed out every other oil/filter change and check/ replace the air filter more than normal. I also have the injectors flush/cleaned and engine flush done annually. Since doing this, my mpg has gone up and remained. I also had a cold air system, 3" down pipe with 4" exhaust system and chipped and that has really increased the performance.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twwlawn
I have a 1996 that did the same when I got it. When that happened, my service center recommended that the fuel filter be changed out every other oil/filter change and check/ replace the air filter more than normal. I also have the injectors flush/cleaned and engine flush done annually. Since doing this, my mpg has gone up and remained. I also had a cold air system, 3" down pipe with 4" exhaust system and chipped and that has really increased the performance.
i've heard about the exhaust being restictive. i just kinda want to rot out the old before forking out the bucks on a 4" & chip.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumper1620
i've heard about the exhaust being restictive. i just kinda want to rot out the old before forking out the bucks on a 4" & chip.
Replacing the cobra tube with the 3" down pipe allows better flow. Find a couple of places where you live that deal directly with power strokes and get some different opinions. I have my truck hooked up to a diagnostic machine twice a year just to make sure it is running like it suppose to be.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As far as your question of it being covered under the Engine warranty, It is impossible to say yes or no that it will be covered with 100% certainty. Call Ford customer assistance and explain to them what is happening and ask them for the name and number of a Ford dealership that is reputable and effective when it comes to fixing PSD's.

Go into that dealership with an appointment and authorize them 1 or 2 hours of diagnostic time, probably will be between $90.00 to $200.00 for this. If and when they find anything wrong they will check the PSD engine warranty coverage chart and see if the part or parts are covered and hopefull be able to give you the good news about it being covered under the 100k warranty.

Good luck
Old 03-06-2005, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks guys,
I'll do the fuel filter tomorrow, run a couple tanks thru it, and see where it goes. i changed my fuel stop at the first of last week to see if maybe it was fuel problems, I'm buying off big truck pumps only now. If i dont see any improvement after the filter i will get it in the shop, at 2.20 a gallon this is going to kill me this year. its already digging in to theplow profits pretty hard and that don't involve dragging a trailer around the world like my summers do.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As far as warrany goes.. Ford is really fickle... the worst in my opinion. Some dealers are better than others at eating some of the cost if you are a good long time customer. If not... yur on yur own. The dealer makes his money, the customer and the tech working on it both get screwed.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcopterdoc
As far as warrany goes.. Ford is really fickle... the worst in my opinion. Some dealers are better than others at eating some of the cost if you are a good long time customer. If not... yur on yur own. The dealer makes his money, the customer and the tech working on it both get screwed.
I hear ya,
thats why i'm not a tech anymore.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How many PSI is you fuel pump making? I'm not sure about the 99+ but on the 94-97PSD there is a screen in the fuel regulator that can get clogged. Also try unplugging your MAP sensor on the firewall and see if it runs better. Did the truck throw any codes when the dealer scanned it?