Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-06-2005, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Question for the Great Dane Pro's

I have a Great Dane surfer and I am having a slight problem with the left hydro, looking at it from the rear. The problem is, when it is cold at first start up left hydo will move forward direction no problem, but in reverse the pump whines like it's loading up. After about ten minutes of running with the hydraulic fluid warm it goes away and no more problems. Right hydro has no problems at all when temps are low. In the summer 85-100 really don't have any problems at all. Local shop says this is normal in cool outside temp. I am trying to sell this mower and people are having some concern about the hydro problem. So any suggestion from the Pro's???????? I have it for sale, if any of you are interested!
Old 03-07-2005, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Member

This one is kind of odd and difficult to diagnose. I cant hear the sound the pump is making. A pump will make different noises when it is loaded and when it is starving for oil. The noise at start up that goes away makes me think there is some air entering the system from a leak at night when it is shut off. When you start it up the charge pump refills the loop going to the wheel motor. So my knee jerk reaction to this would be that there may be a leak somewhere in the lines or fitting area going from the pump to the wheel motor. If the pump truly is working or under strain then acts normal maybe a check valve is sticking. But this doesnt seem very probable to me.