Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2005, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Delay Flyer ambush?

I had my eyes set on A major marketing attack across my area around the end of this week. Now looking at the weather http://www.crh.noaa.gov/forecasts/IL...ity=Naperville (snow & rain, raw temps) Do you think I should delay the "shock and aw" advertising attack.

Do you think It would be cost effective to just wait till the weather turns?
Old 03-07-2005, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in Villa Park and kind of wanted to get out ASAP and be passing them out now. Timing is everything so it might be best to hold off till the weather clears! Yesterday was perfect huh? I already have my contacts turning over the competitions flyer's and there have been 2 different companies out so far. My problem is my "friend" who was doing my logo and advertising fell through so I have not even got to the printer yet. I guess thats why she was charging me only $35/hr! I'm hoping to get something to the printer this weekend). I'm planning on 5000 doorhangers in Eastern DuPage and western Cook Counties. I would hope to be mowing by mid April (If the weather cooperates).
Old 03-07-2005, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Busters Inc.
I had my eyes set on A major marketing attack across my area around the end of this week. Now looking at the weather http://www.crh.noaa.gov/forecasts/IL...ity=Naperville (snow & rain, raw temps) Do you think I should delay the "shock and aw" advertising attack.

Do you think It would be cost effective to just wait till the weather turns?
I'm holding until the weather changes, a foot of snow on the ground will just bring on the circle file syndrome
Old 03-07-2005, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In Schaumburg here guys, and yes yesterday was perfect!
It is supposed to get cold again, so I am waiting on going door to door another week. I have been putting out postcards all over town at local businesses though, and like to do that year round, just to promote the name.

did see a couple homeowners doing yard clean ups yesterday, so it is starting to get in their heads. Also saw one of the infamous flyers in a bag of rocks being distributed to the driveways. never would do that, I would consider it littering if it was done to my house.

anyways, hopefully those 60 degree days are not far away!
Old 03-07-2005, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well look at mine.....and the grass is STILL DORMANT.....dang this is killing me.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/forecasts/NC...5&city=Cameron
Old 03-07-2005, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I brought the idea up to someone before about doing a study to find what types of marketing work the best in certain types of weather
Old 03-07-2005, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko
I'm in Villa Park and kind of wanted to get out ASAP and be passing them out now. Timing is everything so it might be best to hold off till the weather clears! Yesterday was perfect huh? I already have my contacts turning over the competitions flyer's and there have been 2 different companies out so far. My problem is my "friend" who was doing my logo and advertising fell through so I have not even got to the printer yet. I guess thats why she was charging me only $35/hr! I'm hoping to get something to the printer this weekend). I'm planning on 5000 doorhangers in Eastern DuPage and western Cook Counties. I would hope to be mowing by mid April (If the weather cooperates).
No, no, no, no. Timing is not everything. It is important but it is not everything. The perfect time for one customer is not the perfect time for another customer. Some customers are thinking about their lawn already and others won't think about it until it is 6" tall. You are probably not good enough to figure when the perfect time is. I know that I am not.

The grass is not growing here either. It is starting to kind of turn but for the most part it is still dormant. That hasn't stopped me from advertising though. I am signing up new customers almost every day and haven't mowed a single lawn yet. I imagine that things will only pick up after a few weeks. If the customers that I have already advertised to have forgotten about me, they will get a friendly reminder as I hit their neighborhood again.

The perfect time for advertising is all season long.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 03-07-2005, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have been debating this same thing for the last couple of weeks watching our forecast.I am starting to think that I would rather wait an extra week then take the chance of them going out to early.I am doing paper inserts and last year it snowed when they went out..this year they were scheduled for the 17th of March so I pushed it back a week.

www.luxurylawninc.com

http://www.facebook.com/#!/LarryN828
Old 03-07-2005, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I remember last year in August I send out snow removal contracts, and it was like pulling teeth to get them back in because it was like in the 80's and sunny. Nobody was thinking about it at that time because of the weather.