Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-08-2005, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Skidsteer gurus have a ?

Hey guys Im thinking of getting a bushog for the front of my skidsteer. How well do they bushog? I have a 2005 John Deere 317 and Im looking at the Bobcat 90in bushog, thanks alot!
Old 03-08-2005, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Brush cutter on a skid steer

I think that as long as the ground is flat and isn't too soft a brush cutter would work fine on a skid steer as long as the hyd. flow is matched to the head. Some cutting heads use only high-flow. I've seen quite a few rubber-track machines here in OR using cutting heads. One guy has a Takeuchi he had modified for high-flow and two Posi-Tracks. One is an old 4810 and the other is a newer RC-100. He said he liked the fact that the RC-100 had 40GPM and it was some special pump that had "load sensing". Anyway, it was cool to see him kick that thing into two speed and zoom down the road shoulder at 10+mph. I bet it would be good a snow removal.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Member

I have the 60" Brushcat on my 773T machine. The Brushcat does all that Bobcat advertises and more. I have used it on overgrown hayfields, alder and willow groves, and on small trees. My machine is the standard flow hydraulics with 16.7 GPM. I see the JD 317 has 17 GPM standard flow and 27 GPM high flow models which is nearly identical to my 773T. The Brushcat can pretty much mow through 1.5" to 2" sized material with no problem. 3"-4" (Bobcat only rates the Brushcat to 3") material take a little more time but gets good results.

The 60" Brushcat would probably perform better on a high flow machine because the blades would be spinning faster. The 60" Brushcat requires a minimum flow of 13 GPM and a maximum of 28 GPM. There are times when my Brushcat gets bogged down in very dense material which just requires me to stop forward movement and let the blades clear themselves. Sometimes the cutters get loaded up enough that my tilt cylinder bleeds off and the cutter takes an even bigger bite. I them have to lift the attachment slightly to allow the blades to clear. Front rollers are available as an option on the 60" model (standard on the 90") which would help with uneven terrain, but cost nearly $1,000.

I would not utilize the 90" Brushcat on a standard flow machine. The 90" Brushcat requires a minimum flow of 26 GPM and a maximum flow of 32 GPM. The 90" Brushcat also weighs 2000# and extends 73" in front of the attachment plate, so the leverage will require a machine with probably at least a 2500# ROC. I have heard of people being dissapointed with the performance of the 90" Brushcat on a standard flow T300 (18.7 GPM) because the cutters got bogged down.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Member

BTW, I burn less fuel while using my Brushcat than during normal loader operations. The machine is running at high RPM's, but doesn't ever really put a load on the engine. I charge $15 more per hour while Brushcatting. I have about 30 hours on my blades, but they could use a touch up with the grinder. You can reverse the hydraulic hoses and use the other edge of the blade also. I can probably expect about 150 hours out of a set of blades when cutting mostly heavy brush and small trees. Last fall, the price on a set of blades was about $150, hopefully the price didn't increase too much this year. I may increase my rate this year to $20 - $25 per hour extra for the Brushcat.

It's a direct drive from the hydraulic pump to the cutter head, so no moving parts. Only real wear components are the blades and any damage to the hydraulic hoses from the machine to the attachment.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Member

I have some video footage of my Brushcat in action at BobcatForum.com. You have to join and become a member to see the video under the media tab. Sorry, not my website and rules, just noticed that the videos didn't show up unless I was logged on as a member.

The video footage was of me cutting small brush (1" to 1.5" diameter) near the end of a runway. As you can see, it does a great job and travel speed is fairly quick. This upcoming summer I will get some footage of me using it on larger (3" - 4") trees.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you guys!