Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-06-2001, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Standing Out

My partner and I are trying to decide on a color for our work shirts that we are going to be purchasing soon.

We have been thinking about a tan color or white.
One day I was thinking maybe those colors wouldn't stand out from the rest of the competition.

Maybe bright colors would be better.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-06-2001, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yellar ones!!!

Green, Ashe Grey, and Red have been the colors of choice in our area since i enetered the biz. We have gone to yellow with green lettering. Yes, we attract some insects but when running around the yards we fit right into the landscape theme quite well.

Kris
Old 02-06-2001, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

light

light colors to be cooler.Also loose fitting
Old 02-06-2001, 03:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Definitely agree with awm. Light colors are the best.
I think white is fine. And it looks exceptionally good
with a tan.

Then choose the color you want your thread for the embroidery to be. Choose something darker so it stands out.

We have white polos with hunter green embroidery.

This year though it's t-shirts for us. The polos can be kinda hot.

Old 02-06-2001, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Member

We use 100% cotton collared hunter green shirts and caps with our logo done in gold. During the summer we use kaki (did I spell that right) shorts and blue jeans during the winter. Damn we look good! Russ
Old 02-06-2001, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Member

For me, I have white collard polo shirts with the logo embroided, the workers get tan color tee shirts with logos. I think this works the best for a couple reasons. (1) It looks like your a pro, It seperates you form the workers which the clients and or property managers like.(2) they are cool colors for the summers.(3) which i think is important is that you can see if there is any insects on you like DEER TICKS,and if you do any I.P.M. work.(4) every body that i know wears green and red
Old 02-06-2001, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We use a lighter color of grey. I don't have the name or anything on them let but I'm looking into that and hats. White probably looks better but when it gets hot and dusty out in the summer I think the white will start to get dirty faster and the stains show up alot easier on white. Just my two-cents.
Old 02-06-2001, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Shirts

Although some of you say they are hot,We have maroon shirts with white letters(T's) khaki shorts This really catches the customers eye.They are breathable too!! Beleive it or not anything is hot when you're in 85+ temps so Drink lots of water and don't eat to much... I just had a flash back to June, boy Was it nice and sunny!!!!Summer's a comin' boys and girls summer's a comin'!

Eric
Old 02-06-2001, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I decided a long time ago that I wanted to stand out from the competition. But I wanted to do it in a professional way too. In our area, the bigger companies all use a dominant color theme on all of their trucks, shirts, hats, etc. When I started I decided to use Bright Red with White Letters. There was another company in the area already using it but they were 15 miles away and for the most part, we didn't overlap much.

It has been a very good choice for us. The colors really stand out but still look professional. The trick is to not only get their attention but to also have them see your company name. So again I borrowed from how the big boys did it. The company with the best image around here is called "Teufel Landscaping". The have "TEUFEL" written in huge bold letters then "landscaping" below in smaller letters. Mostly, you just see the first word. But the get noticed. Everyone around here knows their trucks, shirts, etc. So we've done the same thing. All of our shirts on the back say "LEWIS" and then "landscape services" in smaller letters below. Then again on the pocket on the front of the T-shirt. They are bright red with white letters.

Teufel uses Bright Blue with white letters. Either color is a great choice. I don't personally have a preference for Red. I would have rather used blue. But I must say we stand out more than almost any other companuy does.

Any marketing book will tell you Red and Yellow are the most noticed colors. And if you think about it, it makes sense. Thing about what the big companies use on all of their stuff; Coca Cola, McDonalds, Marlboro, etc.

If I were to do it all over again I would still have chosen either Bright Red or Bright Blue.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 02-06-2001, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Last year I had White shirts with my company logo on the back. The thing I didn't like was the white shirts got real dirty real fast. By the time you were done the first job of the day it would look like you hadn't wash your shirt in a week. This year I my try dark geen with orange logo on the back. I want to put something on the front also but I don't know what. Also I may try to get some sleevless shirts.