Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-10-2005, 03:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Underbid a bit huh?

Well, it was good experience. I appreciate the negative feedback. It gives me more reason to do this for nothing other than to have a person with class in the business. "If you don't have something good to say, don't say it all."

Dodson Lawncare
Old 03-10-2005, 04:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've done things like that. I always say some money is better than no money!
7'x18' Custom Open Trailer
7'x12' Big Tex Open Trailer
8.5'x24' King American Enclosed
2006 Grasshopper 928D 61" (4,700 hrs!! )
2011 Grasshopper 930D
2005 JD 737 60"
Snapper 21" Hi-Vac Commercial
Lawnboy 21" Duraforce x2
Shindaiwa: T2500 | T231 | T242 | LE261 | EB630RT | 488 | DH2510 | RS76S
Tanaka: TBC-255PF | TBC-280PF | TPH-270PF
Fisher 8'6" Extreme V SS
Old 03-10-2005, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvvdd
Well, it was good experience. I appreciate the negative feedback. It gives me more reason to do this for nothing other than to have a person with class in the business. "If you don't have something good to say, don't say it all."

Dodson Lawncare
Mr. Dodson.

Yes we gave you negative feedback. However, you should be happy we did. I am sure you have learned a good lesson here about the true costs of business and what it takes to make money. You now know about how overhead relates to making money, depreciation is a real expense, you have to account for every penny that it took to produce that $150.

Would it have been better for us to say "great job, were so proud of you, $150 is awesome!" only to watch you go out of business and broke halfway through the season?

Learn from us and yo uwill succeed.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Member

charge was cheap

Quote:
I had 25; 55 gallon bags of leaves and sticks. It took me and my lady about 6 hours. I charged $150.00 and he threw in a $20.00 tip. The dump fee was $15.00 though. I wish I had one of those huge vacs like I saw on the back of this trailer. I guess they blow all the leaves to it then it sucks em to the back of the truck. Maybe someday. It was good to complete a job though. I hope everyone is busier than I am. It is early yet I guess.

Dodson Lawncare
1998 Ford
Echo chain saw,hedge clippers
Toro Trimmer, Edger
Weed Eat Featherlite Blower
Toro 21" Commercial Mower
i just want to say i tihnk you charged not enough.How did you make any money.excluding the tip you made 150 -15 for the dump plus gas for vehichle and im sure a blower maybe.but after all that in 6 hrs 2 people thats a 12 hr manhr at probably 10 bucks an hr. you need to charge more to make money.the tip is just an added bonus. if your in business for yourself you need to make 40 an hr for you an whatever you feel for the the experience is for the lady. you shouldve charged at least say 60an hr combined at the low end times that by 6 hrs thats 360.00 plus dump say 25to 30 including gas just cause its only bags if it was a dump it woulbe alot more for a load but the total would be almost 400.00 just tryin to help a landscape out dont sell yourself short its hard work your better off workin at burker king for that price you charged and you get benefits
Old 03-10-2005, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure his charge was low, but we don"t know what he was using to do the cleanup with. If he doesn't have the equipment to get the jobs done quick, he can not get the big bux for doing them.
I believe at one time we have all "been there done that" with starting out and trying to figure out pricing. My sugestion to him would be to ask questions, tyell of how you did on a job. Most of the people here understand about not knowing and are very helpful. Good luck!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2005, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

Dodson Lawncare

Hey don't be mad at them, Try to listen to them. If you want to make any money you have to listen to them. The big thing is you have to know your numbers. Yes $150. sound alot, but think about equipment use,gas, your time (6 hours ), dump fees, and further equipment, I could go on, but now look at that $150. OH sh.. $150 not that much. Yes some people are hard on you but if you want to learn they will teach. Now hopefully you learned. Go out and up your price, or you will be OUT OF BUSINESS SOON.

Oh by the way this Quote " if you don't have something good to say, don't say it all. " That is something my son would say and he is only 5. If you want to only here good things, then go back to high school. That is where the kids will look up to you for doing foolish things. Just a word of thought
Old 03-10-2005, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Since I was the first to crack on you jjvvdd, I hope you understand what I and others are trying to say. Sodking may have sounded harsh, but the world is full of harsh experiences, many of which Sodking and myself have probably been on the receiving end of . I would be lying if I said I had not been cracked on while trying to learn about one of my business ventures. The person who cracked on me was not some person I never set eyes on.......it was my DAD and UNCLES .

Don't take it personal, and learn from your experiences. Accept criticism as a learning tool, not as a form of disrespect.

Good Luck,
Jim
Old 03-10-2005, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Member

rake or a blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premo Services
Sure his charge was low, but we don"t know what he was using to do the cleanup with. If he doesn't have the equipment to get the jobs done quick, he can not get the big bux for doing them.
I believe at one time we have all "been there done that" with starting out and trying to figure out pricing. My sugestion to him would be to ask questions, tyell of how you did on a job. Most of the people here understand about not knowing and are very helpful. Good luck!!!!!!
a rake or a blower i still would charge by the hr.if you have a leave sucker then you charge for the machineas well. most landscapers are goin to have a blower or a rake you still need to charge by the hr.i know a rake would take longer if thats all you have but if you have a blower you can jump to the next cleanup still charging by the hr. by the way my father lives in st.louis,mo runs a contruction bus Jim britton ever heard of him.i was also just given the guy some input so next clean up he doesnt make the same mistake.hes the guy we all lose jobs from cause were too much
Old 03-10-2005, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

Dodson Lawncare
I don't get it. People are posting about how much they make, and then when people give them negative feedback they cop an attitude. Look..if you don't want to hear what we all think then don't post. If people are looking for someone to blow spoke up their butt then they are looking in the wrong place.
Personally I agree...you should have sent them $10 and stayed home that day. Figure out what your expenses are and charge accordingly. What's going to happen when you are no longer able to do that clean up, they are going to call someone else who will have to charge 2x your price and that customer is going to freak out. All you are doing is lowering the market value of landscaping services in you area.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i'd did a clean up monday and took me 7 hours ...had alot of leaves and mow and trim & edger ,,did complete yard clean up and charge $375.00 and now he want me to go back every ten days ..