Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2005, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Finding a foreman

I have decided to have add a foreman to take over my crew. I do 95% maintenance. I am thinking of paying someone 10-12 dollars an hour or possibly 8 dollars and a bonus depending on how productive they are. But my real question is, from your experiences what is the best way of finding a foreman? Newspaper ad? any other ideas?
Old 03-09-2005, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

your going to pay a foreman that? good luck finding someone to work for that cheap. especially a foreman.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i don't know what part of country ur from but around these parts, that's laborer pay rate
Old 03-09-2005, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I believe that is the going rate here. I know of several companies that pay their foremen 9-12 dollars an hour. By foreman, I mean drive the truck and do mostly mowing accounts.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I offered $13hr with NO calls
I tried collage newspaper/web site
My friend went to firestations and talked to the guys and he hired two firemen. One works two days and the other works the other three.
I might try it....
Old 03-09-2005, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not enough dough dude, Not nowaday. I think you need to start with $14 and go from there.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck...................I would like to find a good worker (period) at that rate. Labor is a major pain for me. The one I have now has 1. Bent the front edge on my tractor bucket. 2. Bent the back side of my loader bucket. 3. Lost a pin and digger of my boxblade. 4. Broke the steering cylinder on my tractor. 5. Today...the transmission on my F-350 went out while he was driving it. Empty.

I just laugh to keep from crying.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o-so-n-so
Good luck...................I would like to find a good worker (period) at that rate. Labor is a major pain for me. The one I have now has 1. Bent the front edge on my tractor bucket. 2. Bent the back side of my loader bucket. 3. Lost a pin and digger of my boxblade. 4. Broke the steering cylinder on my tractor. 5. Today...the transmission on my F-350 went out while he was driving it. Empty.

I just laugh to keep from crying.
well the bucket would be an easy fix if you have a torch. just heat it red hot and beat it back into shape
Old 03-09-2005, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I am currently a foreman in PA, it might be different where you are from, but I know that I wouldnt do it for anything close to what you are looking to pay. I wouldnt accept less than $15.00/hr with really nice bonuses throughout the year. I would be careful of people that would take less money b/c you are putting alot of trust in them. Your foreman can control how much profit you can make by how fast he can do lawns. Thats why my advice is pay someone what they are worth, thats why paying top $ is required for a foreman b/c if he doesnt deserve top $ then he shouldnt be a foreman. Just my 2 cents....

Ron
Old 03-09-2005, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The two I have currently make $20/hour and I pay 1/2 their major medical year round...they get a raise this year to $22.50