Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-09-2005, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Member

1 acre with 22"

got to do an estimate on an acre with about 25 oaks. Ill be doing it with a 22". If I get it, this will be my largest customer. I cannot do it as cheap as someone with a larger walk behind. What should I do. I want bigger and better equipment but I am only set up to do smaller lawns. I was thinking of $60 please give me your advise.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Buy a bigger mower or look at smaller yards.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24ON48OFF
got to do an estimate on an acre with about 25 oaks. Ill be doing it with a 22". If I get it, this will be my largest customer. I cannot do it as cheap as someone with a larger walk behind. What should I do. I want bigger and better equipment but I am only set up to do smaller lawns. I was thinking of $60 please give me your advise.
That's not right, the yard is worth what it's worth. It's not the homeowner's fault you have a small mower. I mowed with a 21" last summer and I had to get it in my head that it was going to take me a while to do a couple of my yards.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would get a bigger mower cuz around her we charge that or more to do and acer with a rider. i was in ur same situation last year had to do three acers and only had a 48'' i was nuts gat a rider cut the time down a bit but atill didnt make anything on it his price is going up this year i was giveing my work away cant do that this year.
2 Exmark XS 66'' Diesel
JD 3520 Laoder and 72'' Landpride
Old 03-09-2005, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Unfortunately you have to charge as "if" you did have the right equipment though. If you charge more than the going rate just because you don't have the right equipment you will not get many accounts. You cannot charge nor should you expect the homeowner to pay more because you are going after a job you don't have the proper equipment for as I'm sure you understand. Charge whatever someone with say a 60" ZTR would for this property and fight through it until you have purchased the correct commercial equipment you need to do the jobs you seek. Good luck.

A friend of mine has a trophy wife……..apparently she wasn’t 1st place though

...Amateurs built the Ark but professionals built the Titanic...

...YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID...
Old 03-10-2005, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

I advise you to bring 3gal of water, two tubes of sunblock, food, some clothes, hell.......you might as well bring a tent and set up camp .....cause ur gonna be there for a while. "Thats funny right there, I dont care who you are" -Larry the Cable Guy

You may want to reconsider this job because I think you might be biting off more than you can chew. Think about the spring growth my man. Think about fall clean-up w/25 oaks, thats like 25,000 bags of leaf SH#T
Old 03-10-2005, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I say charge $60 AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. If you don't need the account then when they say no its no loss to you. If you get it its gravy.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigviclbi
I say charge $60 AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. If you don't need the account then when they say no its no loss to you. If you get it its gravy.
That is what I was thinking. I might spend more time there but it will be paying the same as 2 accounts
Old 03-10-2005, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Oh it will be gravy alright, thick chunky gravy with so much fat and cholesterol that he will either choke on it or die from a heart attack.

Give him a price that will justify the amount of work you will be doing with that 22, and if he goes for it than put the money towards a walk behind and if not than dont sweat it. Thats like trying to put in a new driveway with a shovel and bags of quickrete when you need a Bobcat and a cement truck.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I suggest you leave this one alone.

If you take it on, I can pretty much guarantee you will drop it, or it will drop you.