Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-10-2005, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

How long do you guys think it will take him to cut it? 22"? what brand is that and how fast does it go?

If you do get, I suggest you lube up real good. If not you might have trouble walking the next day

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy
How long do you guys think it will take him to cut it? 22"? what brand is that and how fast does it go?

If you do get, I suggest you lube up real good. If not you might have trouble walking the next day
Im only 25 I dont think my body would have a hard time keeping up
Old 03-10-2005, 02:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMLawn
Unfortunately you have to charge as "if" you did have the right equipment though. If you charge more than the going rate just because you don't have the right equipment you will not get many accounts. You cannot charge nor should you expect the homeowner to pay more because you are going after a job you don't have the proper equipment for as I'm sure you understand. Charge whatever someone with say a 60" ZTR would for this property and fight through it until you have purchased the correct commercial equipment you need to do the jobs you seek. Good luck.
MMLawn is right! This job is a no-go for you. You need to target small residential.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24ON48OFF
Im only 25 I dont think my body would have a hard time keeping up
You can say that now while you sit at the computer in the A/C. But beleive me when i say it is not gonna last. You will hate that account. You need to focus on postage size lots, until you get the right equipment. If there are no small lots in your town, then I will pray for you.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24ON48OFF
got to do an estimate on an acre with about 25 oaks. Ill be doing it with a 22". If I get it, this will be my largest customer. I cannot do it as cheap as someone with a larger walk behind. What should I do. I want bigger and better equipment but I am only set up to do smaller lawns. I was thinking of $60 please give me your advise.
24ON48OFF,
Target some of those sub-divisions south of Ft. Worth where they put $140,000 homes on 6,500 sq. foot lots and the people who own them work 14 hours a day in the city. On Saturday morning, they don't want to contemplate cutting a blade of grass.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:41 AM
LawnSite Member

It will take a lot less time than you think. A side benefit will be that it will teach you how to be quicker on your other jobs. Go for it and enjoy the cash.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is that a push mower or self prepelled?
Old 03-10-2005, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Lawns & Landcare
Is that a push mower or self prepelled?
It is self propelled, I am targeting the small lots. My other accounts are great for what I have. They have fenced in back yards and the gate is only wide enough to get my 22 through to the back. I appreciate all the advise. I talked to the guy on the phone and think I will just explain my situation. If I cant do it maybe I can put someone else on it.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

dude don't listen to everyone on here. cut what you want with what. I cut 2 acres last year with a 21" for $75 it only took about 4 hours. Most people around here sound lazy to me.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachian landscape
dude don't listen to everyone on here. cut what you want with what. I cut 2 acres last year with a 21" for $75 it only took about 4 hours. Most people around here sound lazy to me.
That is $18 per hour before expenses. If you are paying taxes, insurance, putting money back for equipment replacement, have professional fee's (accounting, legal), Marketing expenses etc, etc, etc. Then what is the point. It would be much easier to punch a clock somewhere. I hope you are collecting money on the spot from all your customers because non payment would bring your profit (total business profit) way down. If one customer doesn't pay their monthly invoice it will bring 5 other jobs like that down below minimum wage.

Like others have said. Stick to the small lots where you can make a profit. No sense giving the work away.

Edit: I just realized I wasted my time responding to a new guy (1 year in business) giving advice. I have to start checking them profiles more often.

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.

Last edited by Soupy; 03-10-2005 at 01:55 PM.