Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-10-2005, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy
That is $18 per hour before expenses. If you are paying taxes, insurance, putting money back for equipment replacement, have professional fee's (accounting, legal), Marketing expenses etc, etc, etc. Then what is the point. It would be much easier to punch a clock somewhere. I hope you are collecting money on the spot from all your customers because non payment would bring your profit (total business profit) way down. If one customer doesn't pay their monthly invoice it will bring 5 other jobs like that down below minimum wage.

Like others have said. Stick to the small lots where you can make a profit. No sense giving the work away.

Edit: I just realized I wasted my time responding to a new guy (1 year in business) giving advice. I have to start checking them profiles more often.

The point is I did put money back for new equipment, professional fees, marketing expenses, new equipment, and I HAVE INSURANCE. I knew I was going to want accounts like this when I got a bigger mower, I have the bigger mower now and one more account that I don't have to look for. As far as the new guy comment is concerned, yeah I haven't been in business for myself that long, and I'm still learning about how to run this thing legit. Don't question my ability with out knowing who I am, I've been doing this since I was a little kid and have over five years in turf grass management at a local golf course. I've been only been doing landscaping professionally for about 2 years though.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachian landscape
dude don't listen to everyone on here. cut what you want with what. I cut 2 acres last year with a 21" for $75 it only took about 4 hours. Most people around here sound lazy to me.

This statement if true simply makes you sound like a fool.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's a good freind of mine's yard. If that helps. Didn't mean to sound like a fool, I just wanted to support the original poster in his endeavors. If he can bid the job at a good price and he has plans to get a bigger mower, maybe he should get the account now while he can. Worst case, he dosen't get as much money as he wants per hour and he learns a lesson about what he can and can't do.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachian landscape
It's a good freind of mine's yard. If that helps. Didn't mean to sound like a fool, I just wanted to support the original poster in his endeavors. If he can bid the job at a good price and he has plans to get a bigger mower, maybe he should get the account now while he can. Worst case, he dosen't get as much money as he wants per hour and he learns a lesson about what he can and can't do.

Now your sounding a bit more intelligent.
This board is chock full of people that have a bit of insight into reality, listening is sometimes better than speaking.
Yes, anybody can buy a 21" mower at home depot, question is what will they do with it then?
There in lies reality.

Just some thoughts............................
Old 03-10-2005, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmcmrhp52
This statement if true simply makes you sound like a fool.
2 of those a day and thats $120. Should be able to buy a rider ain a few weeks ?
Old 03-10-2005, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut
2 of those a day and thats $120. Should be able to buy a rider ain a few weeks ?

Actually the quote this is referring to was concerning a $75 cut..............
That would be $150 for 2 cuts.

Let's see,$150 minus costs and taxes gets you to somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 for 8 hours work.
$12.50/ hr.

That is of course if your doing it legally..........................You are right?
Old 03-11-2005, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
How long do you guys think it will take him to cut it? 22"? what brand is that and how fast does it go?

If you do get, I suggest you lube up real good. If not you might have trouble walking the next day
My grandma has a 1 acre lot and a 21" mower. I go over there to help her out on her lawn. I have never timed it but it takes around 2 hours. You gotta do what you gotta do to help family out.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALarsh
My grandma has a 1 acre lot and a 21" mower. I go over there to help her out on her lawn. I have never timed it but it takes around 2 hours. You gotta do what you gotta do to help family out.
Tell granny you need $500 and you will go find a used rider to keep at her house.

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

you will absolutly hate that account when it's the middle of summer that $60 will start to look like a very unfair exchange.

did the guy that owns the property cut it himself? if he did, he probably has a rider on his property. you might be able to use it until you get a larger mower.

or, you could try cutting with TWO 21" mowers at the same time. there was a guy who used to be here that did this. I think that the guys user name was twotoros. it's really amazing to see how it works. here's a link to the thread that shows how it's done. http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=18706 this guy is really masterfull. if you are using light home owner 21"s it should be easier that using a proline.

A student taking a philosophy class had a single question on his final: "What is courage?" The student wrote: "This", signed it, and turned it in.

in Iraq, ever since the beginning of time, men have fought for, land, power, money, and greed. but what are we fighting for? .... we are fighting for something new, we are fighting, because it is the right thing to do.

Last edited by TClawn; 03-11-2005 at 01:49 AM.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Tell granny you need $500 and you will go find a used rider to keep at her house.
I don't mind the walking. It is a good work out.