Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2005, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Member

is it possible

has anyone her started a company with just a good commercial 21" walk behind and built on that? Of course trimmer, edger, blower included.. but without going to a 36".

Do you feel that this is a reasonable venture... take to cosideration very part time to include evenings and weekends.. still have full time job.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKLC
has anyone her started a company with just a good commercial 21" walk behind and built on that? Of course trimmer, edger, blower included.. but without going to a 36".

Do you feel that this is a reasonable venture... take to cosideration very part time to include evenings and weekends.. still have full time job.

Yes you can do it with a bit of common sense...............
Don't go trying to do 1 acre lots with a 21 and think your in business.
Some young folks on here believe the rest of us are idiots because we tell them they're kidding themselves trying to do an acre with a 21" mower.

Good luck.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

Obviously, many are here who started with less than "a good commercial 21". Is this a great country, or what?
Old 03-10-2005, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

Yes you can but with just you and a 21" don't expect to make any money with it as all you will make that way after expenses and time spent pushing that 21" is about the same you would make at McDonald's.

A friend of mine has a trophy wife……..apparently she wasn’t 1st place though

...Amateurs built the Ark but professionals built the Titanic...

...YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID...
Old 03-11-2005, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

depending on the size lots you are doing, and how dedicated you are to your business and its success, you can make it big.

the 21" will do until you can get enough work and customers to warrant buying a bigger mower.

some businesses are all run by 21" mowers, as they are the best choice for the size lawn you are doing. if your lawns are a bit larger, sure a 36" will increase efficiency, but that doesn't mean you can't get it done with a 21"

simple fact is, ANYTHING is possible. the only way to fail is to quit.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Member

I know of a guy just south of me that only uses 21" mowers. You just need to be selective on the yards you get or want and make sure that you don't get overloaded. Don't get me wrong it is great to have big fancy equipment, but if you have the desire and ability you can start with anything. Whatever happens make a plan first and work your plan.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

thank you for the imput... if i were to buy cheep on any equipment.. what do you feel would be the best to short cut on...
use a non commercial mower and upgrade next season?
use a used trimmer/edger?
used blower?

we can afford a good commercial mower but that leaves very little for trimmer/edger and blower... will have to go used if we blow our wallet on a high quality mower... what do you all suggest?
Old 03-11-2005, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

here's what I would do...

considering what you have to work with, and your short term goals...

buy a brand new homeowner model toro mower, say $300-$400
this should last you a year no problem, and if not, they should still warranty it.

get a hand held blower, maybe $100 or so range.

get a commercial grade trimmer.

I am saying this as it is exactly how I started, with the exception I went cheap on a trimmer the first year, then got one the second year. the time I saved by not reloading line, and easier trimming, and less back fatigue was well worth it, plus, it will last years! so about $250-$300 there.

so you're in the $650-$800 range with those items. you'll need some others, but buy as you need them, and as you grow.

by all means, if you can afford sommercial grade off the bat, it is a much wiser thing to do (as I have learned) but you have to start somewhere.

Good luck with it, and remember to reinvest in your business if you are serious about it. it's very hard to do once you get those paychecks coming in, but where the business grows to is all up to how you handle it.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Member

It is possible for sure, in fact, I say you should start like that. I m part time( about 15-20) lawns per week and all I use is a 21 inch( commercial grade toro). I choose small enough lawns to where I make decent money off of this setup, but next year I will probably get a 32 inch mower.
EHO
Old 03-11-2005, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
thank you for the imput... if i were to buy cheep on any equipment.. what do you feel would be the best to short cut on...
use a non commercial mower and upgrade next season?
use a used trimmer/edger?
used blower?

we can afford a good commercial mower but that leaves very little for trimmer/edger and blower... will have to go used if we blow our wallet on a high quality mower... what do you all suggest?

I suggest you save a few more dollars and educate yourself in the mean time.