Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-11-2005, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Firefox and CSS

Someone pointed out to me that that stupid firefox browser wasn't reading the css on my new site revision. http://tjslawncare.com/testing/index.html

Anyone know why? The page is supposed to center itself, the widths are off, and there's a couple gaps in there. Are there work arounds to get it to behave like explorer? Is it like Netscape 4 where you have to use a seperate css page for it with different syntax? Why the hell doesn't that stupid browser read right? Why can't there be a standard for all browsers? Should I even care about the few Firefox users? Is it going to be like Opera and disappear in 6 months anyway?

Old 03-11-2005, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

try replacing your div center tag with a good ol' fashioned center tag < center >. i'm not sure how firefox is with divs and more complex css, but netscape had problems.

also, for your content boxes that are pushed out, mozilla also renders them differently than ie. search for favorite engine for " css mozilla box model problem" (don't put the search in quotes) or sub firefox for mozilla.

since i don't spend huge amounts of time with development anymore (unless google screws my site ranks) i haven't looked much at firefox. ironically, i finally downloaded it this morning for the first time. i love the tab views, btw. anyway, opened my main site with it and figured i'd have a load of issues. turns out, i didn't see any at first glance, other than maybe link rollovers (didn't pay much attention to it). whew...
http://www.caexteriors.com
Old 03-15-2005, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It had to do with margin tags. I had to redo a few things <div> wise, and add a couple of margin: auto; properties to the css for the <div>s. I think I got it licked, though.

Thanks

Old 03-15-2005, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

looks good from here, tj.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdman
It had to do with margin tags. I had to redo a few things <div> wise, and add a couple of margin: auto; properties to the css for the <div>s. I think I got it licked, though.

Thanks

For some reason, the board didn't print out my div tags I put in this post, so it doesn't make sense. Had to redo the div hierarchy and add those margin tags, then it worked okay with firefox. Any other browsers have problems with it, they can go to hell.

Old 03-17-2005, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

vBulletin strips out, or leaves, various bits of html. i managed to completely choke an entire thread by putting in the < title > tag.

with re: to firefox, i receive an industry publication that had a story detailing a problematic crossroads. after the initial 25m geeks download their browsers, it has really fallen off. marketshare for february was 5.69%.
another, more pressing issue, is that most core developers are gone, leaving only 1 member on it's review team. review teams are the key part in any software as they know the code inside/out and facilitate de-bugging and the all-important security issues.

better hurry, though... IE7 is just around the corner.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Personally I wouldn't care, but my stats say 10% useage of firefox. That's too high to ignore.