Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-07-2001, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Piercings

My brother is in charge of our landscape contracts. He was approached for employment the other day buy a young guy who was new to the area. My brother informed me that he was quite polite and professional in how he approached him to ask about a job opporunity as spring was just around the corner.

He showed up at the shop the other morning in khakis, a button down shirt, and some sort of a casual dress shoe, and a stud in his nose and ear. When he speaks he is very well spoken and incredibly polite. After our meeting we are both impressed with his qualifications and feel that he would be a valuable assest to our organization.

I think the piercings are unprofessional, but I dont know if we can stipulate against them or not. Would you guys hire him or not??

I know the post was wordy but I wanted to give him a fair shot, he was not just some shlep comin thru the door with his nose pierced.

Thanks for your input.
Kris
Old 02-07-2001, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know what you mean!
I don't think that is discrimination,you have a right to have a dress code.
John Allin would probably know more.

Good Luck
Old 02-07-2001, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hire him but let him know that he must have the piercings removed while on the clock. Since he presented himself the way he did, I believe that he will understand the reasoning behind your decision. I think there even might be some safty factors that piercings present.
Old 02-07-2001, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have an older man hlp out here and there,and he is loaded with tatoos and long hair.Looks wise,he's right off a harley,but this guy is the best worker and polite,easy on equipment and ultra reliable.When we sarted using him we were a little turned off by it all,but no it doesnt bother us,and not one customer has said anything-yet.I wouldnt use him for my lawn business though,Ive thought about it and feel there is to much exposure and dont want my image to be reflcted by his looks-which it would if i hired him.If it was just a couple piercings,Id hire him ,you never know he might be your best employee,and next year he'll grow up and drop the peircings.If you hire him,down the road,you can let him bid work when he;s apporached by neighbors-and he'd get more bids without those piercings.
Old 02-07-2001, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What is his background? Why is he looking for a job? The asthetic part of a person is great but how can you justify not hiring him because of the way he looks?

What will his job be? If this guy has a good background as well as work ethic and has experience then he is worth a shot even if he has his tounge pierced as long as you don't hire him to answer the phone. You have to be careful about discriminating on looks, if you can find a Safety reason it may be easier to tell him that he can't wear it, but I can't really think of one. Just my 2cents.
Old 02-07-2001, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Casual shoes, NO WAY
Old 02-07-2001, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

thank you to all who posted

As far as qualifications go he is more than ample in his aptitude. He has just moved here and if he could have afforded to stay where he was out west he would have.

I guess that my concerns were as John mentioned about the overall presenatation of our company. I too would definitely not want him performing maintenance looking like some jerk that just got back from spring break.

I also agree with lonestar, that he would in fact see the business side of his piercings as a potential turn-off. My gut tells me that he appreciates the fact that we took the time to talk to him and that we are considering his ability not his appearance.

Being we have such stuff shirt conservatives in our area who couldnt put out a pocorn fart at a burrito eating contest, I was just curious how the rest of you would handle valuable applicants with what I believe to be a minor yet not irreversible flaw. I also wanted to be a little more sure that if we asked him not to wear it as lonestar stated that it could be done in a professional, non-discriminative way.

Kris
Old 02-07-2001, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Just my observations: I work in corporate America for a large pharmaceutical manufacturer, in a corporate engineering environment. It seems that this type of thing is becoming more and more common. We see new engineers hired with earings and some with tattoos. These engineers are recruited from some of the top colleges in the country. The new corporate buzzword is "diversity", and we are "proactively" hiring a more "diverse" work force. By the way I don't find these "diverse" worker's work habits any different from those of their more conservitive counter parts. Just my humble opinion.
Old 02-07-2001, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I worked briefly at an insurance company. I got to know an HR person there pretty well. I asked her about this issue - she says you can stipulate that anything offensive is covered or removed. You can also choose not to hire. But there's a caveat.

There was an article in The Landsculptor, the magazine of the MNLA (MI). It said that if they are in contact with customers, you are justified in requiring short hair, no tattoos, no piercings. But it'll help if you can put together an employee guidebook that stipulates this. Doesn't have to be more than one page. See if they're site can help http://www.landscape.org. Might be able to get a copy of the article.

And John - if he looks like he just got off a harley, full of hair and tattoos, the reason nobody brought it up is because they're afraid he'd kill and eat them.
Old 02-07-2001, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

thanks again for the help

I have spent the latter part of the morning writing up a code of ethics for the company.

Kris