Register free!

Old 03-14-2005, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

hunting in central states

just wondering who all on here hunts around the michigan/ohio/illinois/kentucky/tennessee area? Around my area (central indiana) I hunt deer, coyote, duck, geese, and dove. Let me know,
I am always interested in some good hunting stories or maybe even
swapping some hunts. Last year I did some traveling to hunt/fish and
would love to try more new spots as well as make some new hunting buddies. Thanks-

Evan
Old 03-14-2005, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Evan,
Welcome to Lawnsite. I'm up here in northern Minnesota and hunting & fishing is my biggest passion right after my family. Not a so-called "trophy" hunter, to me a day in the woods or on the ice, or on the water is what it's about. If I bag something, that's a bonus, if I bag something close to being a trophy...that's a huge bonus. Deer, grouse, duck, goose, turkey, pheasant, and hopefully one day I can add moose to that list, but that is pretty much what I go after when hunting. Most of my fishing is done on the ice, walleye, crappie, and jumbo perch are my preferred targets. Another member here, Camland, is an avid outdoorsman as well. He's in the Michigan area.

A buddy of mine is just getting ready to head out on a snowgoose hunt in SD, I can't go but I have to try that one of these days.

Well, glad to have you aboard Evan, good luck in your future hunts. Going turkey hunting this spring?

Buck
Old 03-14-2005, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I used to be a pretty avid small game/varmint hunter in the farm country in MIDDLE TENNESSEE.

my speciality was the long range groundhog shot with a bench rest rifle with a bull barrel and a high power scope.

I now make those shots with military style weapons with iron sights.

GEO
Old 03-14-2005, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogunn
I used to be a pretty avid small game/varmint hunter in the farm country in MIDDLE TENNESSEE.

my speciality was the long range groundhog shot with a bench rest rifle with a bull barrel and a high power scope.

I now make those shots with military style weapons with iron sights.

GEO
Geo, nice Vols colors there...

Now when you start making those shots with your bow...then come tell us about it.

Buck
Old 03-14-2005, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Member

we hunt rabbit,squirell,and deer h ere in ohio, but my family owns a dairy farm in warren county pa. me and my dad and a couple buddies go back every fall for a few days for deer season. its always ablast. its the only time the whole year that i get away from work, the kids and all the stress. my kids are getting older and they want to go, so i guess my down time will turn in to family time,oh well thats all right by me.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up North
Now when you start making those shots with your bow...then come tell us about it.
BUCK--those stories will never be told. I am frightened of bows and especially bow people....

if I ever walked into the woods and looked up and saw a guy in a tree over me with a bow in his hand, I'd have a heart attack on the spot.

GEO
Old 03-14-2005, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogunn
BUCK--those stories will never be told. I am frightened of bows and especially bow people....

if I ever walked into the woods and looked up and saw a guy in a tree over me with a bow in his hand, I'd have a heart attack on the spot.

GEO

LOL! At least he'd be able to save an arrow...

Buck
Old 03-14-2005, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not from the central states but get to hunt mulies and elk every year.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Evont22 welcome to L.S. I'm in southeast Iowa, like Buck next to my family being in the great outdoors is my obsession. Around here I hunt duck, goose, pheasant, quail, and deer (bow, muzzle loader and shotgun) Love to boat on the Mighty Mississippi catfish in the summer and pan fish in the winter (I'm soft though gotta have my heated blind and ice hut)

Some guys coyote hunt around here but I never got into that, also had some darn fools bring some razorbacks into the area from Oklahoma and turn them loose, this is a bad thing in farming areas, especially with confinements (disease) So guys been shooting the hogs up lately as well. Razorbacks turn up in the strangest places around here to, one was trapped in the Pastor's window well at the Parrish in town. Go figure.

hey Buck hey Geo

Happy hunting

-Geoff
Old 03-14-2005, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Pro
Hey Evont22 welcome to L.S. I'm in southeast Iowa, like Buck next to my family being in the great outdoors is my obsession. Around here I hunt duck, goose, pheasant, quail, and deer (bow, muzzle loader and shotgun) Love to boat on the Mighty Mississippi catfish in the summer and pan fish in the winter (I'm soft though gotta have my heated blind and ice hut)

Some guys coyote hunt around here but I never got into that, also had some darn fools bring some razorbacks into the area from Oklahoma and turn them loose, this is a bad thing in farming areas, especially with confinements (disease) So guys been shooting the hogs up lately as well. Razorbacks turn up in the strangest places around here to, one was trapped in the Pastor's window well at the Parrish in town. Go figure.

hey Buck hey Geo

Happy hunting

-Geoff
Hey Geoff,
What's shaking? Getting ready to kick off the big season? I'm definitely ready for spring...tired of cold weather. Our high was 18 today...getting old (the cold weather, not me... ).

Buck