Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-15-2005, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Landscape Leads for Sale

Just curious if anyone has ever used or had any success with lead companies. Seems like a good idea but not sure if it is worth it.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

the sales rate is generally very low and the cost per sale is generally very high

i have found it is more advantageous to hire your own in house person to generate leads (typically we're talkin telemarketing). doing this in house you will generate much LESS leads than an outside firm who has a room full of people doing the calling...BUT the leads generated in house will be much more likely to become sales.

last season we hired an outside firm to generate leads for us (against my better judgement) Cost for this service was $7000. PLUS the cost of labor running those leads...so total cost was around $10000.
Would have been much better off hiring a part timer to generate and run leads in house.
BTW...for our $10000 investment....well i wont say how much we did in new sales but it was pathetic!!

oh yeah, the company we hired was not green industry specific (in other words they will hire themselves out to generate leads for any industry) we have in the past hired the large industry specific company to generate leads...the total cost PER SALE was even higher than using to non-industry specific company. go figure
Old 03-15-2005, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I was thinking about the same thing. I have found a web site that you pay per lead you buy. You can buy by zip code. The charge for lead are broken down by, residential and commercial both cut and landscape. I had made a call to one of them and they stated that during the season they would have around 200 lead available. The pricing seemed to be far. I will try to find the web site again.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

also consider this....
every lead you buy might also be sold to your compitition.

think about it, they sell you 200 leads. they sell the same 200 leads to 5 others who work within your service area.

obviously everyone will do what they feel is best, but i guarantee you that if you buy leads this spring...next spring you will be on this site warning others not to buy leads

good luck
Old 03-15-2005, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i was not enthused with the service i tried (service magic), but it was for my replacement window company. the leads are also given to a few other companies, and it became a lowball game, as well as often i found the lead wasn't expecting the calls from we bidders.

jim lewis of this site has enjoyed his experience with them. just search "service magic" in the archives here.

tony
Old 03-15-2005, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

How do these services work? I don't think I have ever really heard of them. Here I am fairly sure in fact they do not exist. Though I am in a city where there are five gardeners and scapers for every block. No big companies at all.
Where do THEY get the leads from?

-Reuben
Old 03-15-2005, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Pay for lead companies are just fine if you use a few rules.
Don't pay for every lead, reject the tire kickers.
Pay for the hot leads.
I have many places that send me leads, in the spring and summer it's about
40-50 a wk. Today I got 8, three were not good. I paid for 5 and I let you guys know how many I closed.
It has works for me for the past 2 years.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The worse company I have had was Servicemagic, I do however have good luck with Landscapeleads .com
Lawn Service Divisions
Warren - Harrison Twp. - Detroit - Lenox - St. Helen
(586) 634-2904 (313) 885-9090 (989) 443-4380
Old 03-21-2005, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I might as well try buying a few good ones and see what happens.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have always had great success with Service Magic. Not every lead is a winner. In fact, one out of 3 or 4 are. But those that are more than pay for all of the leads I get.

I also like landscape leads dot com and a few other similar services I won't name. I can't let all my secrets out ;-)

landscape leads dot com doesn't send me a lot of leads (maybe 1/6 of the leads that S.M. sends me) but they do send quality leads. I recently got a $19,000 job from them, which is pretty big for us. And a very profitable job at that. That job will more than pay for a few months of bad leads.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon