Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-16-2005, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

sprint/nextel merger??? whats the deal???

Hi everyone,

I am curious to see if anyone knows what changes are to take into effect after the merger of sprint and nextel. I have tried calling the companies and neither will tell me anything. I currently have a sprint phone and the reception is terrible. I do not have a land line phone and even though i am within the coverage area for sprint at my house, I am usually roaming or getting no signal. ( an the house is in the middle of a 300 acre field of corn so there are no hills to block the signal) I was looking at switching to Nextel but since they are now the same company i am not sure what to do???

Thanks ahead of time
Old 03-16-2005, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was at the Sprint store about two weeks ago and the person told me..yes they did indeed merge but you wont notice any changes until atleast 2006.Once the changes take effect you will be able to use the walkie talkie part of the phone between sprint and nextel users thats all he really told me.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I guess i may as well switch now if its going to take til 2006 for the merger to go into effect.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think that it can only improve service for Sprint customers......I'm not sure Sprint has good signal anywhere......

Derek

'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.' - Barack Obama
Old 03-16-2005, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Member

The merger is still awaiting federal regulatory approval. Once it closes to make a long story short....Nextel will become Sprint. Current Nextel users will have to get new phones in 2006 as they will be migrating to the CDMA technology currently used by Sprint. The combined company should be better than the current Sprint, which is not the best in many markets, but it will be a bumpy, and possibly expensive, road during the transition.

The walkie talkie feature (push-to-talk, PTT) is being implemented by many of the major carriers over the next year or so.

I should have prefaced this by saying I have spent the last 10 years in the wireless industry (with T-Mobile and U.S. Cellular).
Old 03-16-2005, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

sprint sucks you know what....i had it. dropped them like a hot potato. now i am with T-mobile.

unless i find something cheaper, i am never going back.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i had nextel and they were terrible and way expensive

i have alltel now 1k peak time mins and unlimited everything else for 40 bucks a month
Old 03-17-2005, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Member

I have alltel their coverage is great but I get bogus bills and the customer service doesn't exist.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

we use nextel...they have had probs. in the past, but for the last 3 years we havent had any probs. with them...

they have plans with UNLIMITED incoming mins. (great for biz.) and 500mins. i think for $50...
also for people with cable internet, We also use vonage (wasnt sure about it at first) also and have had great luck with it...and it has LOTS of great options, and they have 800#s, ect...

Nextel gave me a link to a website for the merger, i will see if i can find it..
Old 03-18-2005, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had sprint for years and alway's had problems drop calls no signal I switched to verizon about 3 years ago much better no drop calls and wider area coverage! this might vary with your area.