Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-17-2005, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

paver patio

How long should i wait to install paver patio. House construction was completed 02/05?
Thanks
Old 03-17-2005, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry and Sons
How long should i wait to install paver patio. House construction was completed 02/05?
Thanks

just use a deeper base.

Creative Hardscapes
Old 03-17-2005, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would wait at least a year to be safe. At worst late Fall. Get in touch with MBELLA. He has a nice overdig detail that is very helpfull. You will have way too much settling in the overdig area to complete this patio in the near future. (Unles you dig to the footer!)

Chris
Old 03-17-2005, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversatisfiedj
just use a deeper base.

You could use a two foot base and it wouldn't matter. The other six feet of backfill below that is still going to settle.

Unless the backfill was compacted in 8-10 inch lifts while being back filled, it's going to settle for a year. I'm pretty sure the contractor didn't compact it. As cgland said, somebody, if it was in fact mbella, had some good procedures for it. Just search for his name and you should find it. Worse case scenario, you put a clause in your proposal that there would be a charge for any repairs of settling near the house/backfilled areas. If the patio needs to go in, that's fine, but I wouldn't stand behind any backfilled areas. Away from the home you should be able to prep properly and not have a problem.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, I have a detail, but my first advice is to design around it. This is unavoidable if the application includes steps, but other than that, 9 times out of ten you can avoid the area altogether. Use the space to install a softscape buffer.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

What does the customer want? Today or a year from now?

If it is today PLAN and Estimate accordingly. All paver's should be build as any road base. If the base soil has been disturbed then you will have to excavate deeper to achieve 90% proctor on the base soil and then build up and......price accordingly.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthtool
What does the customer want? Today or a year from now?

If it is today PLAN and Estimate accordingly. All paver's should be build as any road base. If the base soil has been disturbed then you will have to excavate deeper to achieve 90% proctor on the base soil and then build up and......price accordingly.
Earthtool, there is a difference between freshly graded topsoil and freshly backfilled foundation. Contractor's need to differentiate between these two areas. The BEST advice is to design around the overdig area. Building on freshly graded topsoil is not as big of a concern because, typically, it is only about 6" deep. The overdig area is the most dangerous.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What is an "overdig" area ? Is that the area they gug out right after the foundation ? I have a patio job to look at tomorrow and the house is only 1 yr old . Not sure how close it is to the foundation untill I look at it tomorrow.

Creative Hardscapes