Head Start Program, Project: Lightning Lawn Service
Here is the profile on Lightning Lawn Service:
I am 20 years old, i've mowed grass for other companies since I was 16 and just started my own this past june. I now have 31 full time customers that I do on the weekend and I work a full time job during the week to make ends meet. I think I could use all the help I can get to go full time this summer.
Mike (Lightning Lawn Service)
Review other Head Start Projects here.
Business plan questions can be found here.
- Give a one paragraph description of your business.
Lightning Lawn Service is a Owner operated business that just started in june 2004. I run a Residential and Commercial lawn business and currently have 30 full time accounts.
- Where is your business located? Cocoa, FL
- What services does your business offer? I offer complete lawn and landscape maintenance.
- What value does it add to the marketplace? Not every lawn service around here does lawn and landscape maintenance so I guess it adds value that I include Landscape maintance.
- What are your qualifications? Iíve done lawn work for 4 years.
- How will your experience contribute to the success of your business? Very much, you really need to know what your doing in able to keep your customers happy with you.
- What are the key strategic opportunities you have identified in your marketplace? A lot of new residential developments.
- How will your business take advantage of these strategic opportunities more effectively than your competition? Provide a more professional look to the potential customers.
- How do you intend to maintain your competitive edge? Keep doing good work.
- Describe the key challenges you face and how will you overcome them? Adding more customers this summer. ADVERTISING
- Will your business operate as a sole proprietor, partnership, corporation or an LLC? Sole Proprietor
- How will your legal structure decrease your business's exposure to risk? I donít know.
- How much will you personally invest in your business? So far I have invested about $11,000ÖI know in the future it will be much more.
- How much money are you seeking from banks? None
- How much money are you seeking from private investors? None
- How long until you plan to break even? End of next year
- How long until you plan on making a profit? After next year.
- What will your start-up costs be? Be specific, describe each and the cost. It was $11,000
- What is your sales forcast for each month of the entire year? List each month's goal. Right not I make about 1600.00 each month, This year I would like to increase that number by atleast 500.00 a month when the season hits.
- What will be your operating expenses? Be specific, describe each and the cost. I figure, about 30.00 a day in gas, 500.00 a year in maintenance to my machines, edger blades, oil, string, etc..
- What will your fixed costs be? Be specific, describe each and the cost. Not sure what fixed costs are?
- What is your business? Lawn and Landscape Maintenance Company
- How will your business succeed? With good work.
- What values are important to your business? Making the customer happy.
- How does your business improve the lives of your customers' and employees'? My customers get to enjoy a beautiful lawn with no effort.
- What is your marketing slogan? Weíll Be There in a Flash!!
- What are the positive NATIONAL trends that will affect your business? Growing economy - What are the negative NATIONAL trends that will affect your business? High gas prices.
- How will you take advantage of the positive trends and deal with the negative trends? Add more customers in able to make up for the gas prices.
- What are the positive REGIONAL trends that will affect your business? Not sure.
- What are the negative REGIONAL trends that will affect your business? Not sure.
- How will you take advantage of the positive trends and deal with the negative trends? Not Sure.
- What are the positive LANDSCAPE INDUSTRY trends that will affect your business? Better Equipment every year.
- What are the negative LANDSCAPE INDUSTRY trends that will affect your business? Low ballers
- How will you take advantage of the positive trends and deal with the negative trends? Buy the better equipment, do better work than the other guy.
- Who are your target customers? (age range, education level, occupations, average home value) Most are elderly customers that are unable to do the work, other than that everyone is a target customer to me.
- What zip codes do they live in? 32926, 32927, 32780 and the surrounding ones
- What do your customers want? Quality work, at reasonable prices.
- Who are your competitors? Other lawn services.
- How many employees do they have? Varies from none to numerous crews
- What is their estimated sales volume? Any where from what I make to probably close to 1 million.
- What services do they offer? Lawn and Landscape maintenance, Landscape installation, spraying and fertilizing.
- What is the quality of their product? Poor to Excellent.
- What is the price range of their product? From 15 a cut and up or 50 a month and up
- Who are there customers? All ranges
- What are their strengths? Good equipment
- What are their weaknesses? Unreliable help
- Are they a direct or indirect competitor? Indirect I think, there is so much work to be done around here.
- How many employees will you start with? Full or p/t? none, just myself
- What will the hourly labor wage paid to employees be? I think Iíll start my first employee out a probably 8.00 an hour and depending on how good he is raise it up accordingly
- What will your total annual labor hours be? 40-50 hours a week from march to oct. 20 hours a week nov.-feb.
- What equipment will be needed? A 52 stander, another blower and weed wacker.
- How much will it cost to obtain this equipment? Probably around 8k
- Where will you store the equipment? In my garage.
- How much will it cost to store the equipment? Free
Advertising / Promotion
- How will you advertise or promote your business? Flyers, business cards, yellow page ad, newspaper ad, word of mouth.
- How much will you spend doing each per year? 2k
Thanks Team Gopher you've been a great help for me! It looks like its going to be a great year for me to really get things going the way I want them to. I can't wait for the website to be completed.
I am looking forwards to seeing your website completed as well. This is going to be a great year for you.
Thanks to our forum member Jennae for setting up Lightning Lawns sith his new business logo.
Here are mike's new tshirts as well.