Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-18-2005, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Dodge Transmission

I'm going to have the opportunity to buy a 2002 Dodge 2500 V8 from my brother in a few months but I have heard that the transmissions end up breaking down once you start pulling anything with them. Has anyone else heard of or had any problems with this?
Old 03-18-2005, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think it is more with the Cummins then with the gas motors as they make so much more torque.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just took the tranny out of my wife's truck ('99 2500 4wd, w/360) this week. The truck has 112k on it, unfortunately it looks like the tranny was out before, as it had a reman-ed torque converter in it. We bought the truck used from a dealer, so I have no idea what the truck went through originally.

My uncle is going to be re-building the tranny for us, not sure how heavy-duty it'll be yet.

If you are concerned about the tranny, put in an oversized cooler, and a higher capacity pan. My uncle was saying that heat is the worst thing for a transmission, and I've heard that before. I think the biggest downfall of ours occurred before we bought it........

If the truck was taken care of, I probably wouldn't hesitate to buy it. The tranny in that truck is probably 99% the same tranny that I just pulled, and probably 98% the same tranny that is in my '92 1/2 ton. They've used that same tranny since '64, so something must be working with it....

Dan
Old 03-21-2005, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

What dan said is key. If it was taken care of don't hesitate.

My Ram 1500 4x4 318 had a hard life before I owned it. The owners before me towed a 5th wheel with it. Lets just say it's on it's second tranny and 2nd engine.

I love dodge but I've got a lemmon!
Old 03-27-2005, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Talked to my uncle yesterday. Turns out that the OD unit was the problem; one of the planetary gears went, which then took out the rest of the tranny.... He said that most of the time, when it does that, the cooler is plugged, so I'll most likely be spending a few bucks on a new cooler. There's that heat thing again. I guess he's got ~$500 in parts in it, don't know what the labor is gonna be...........

Dan