Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-20-2005, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Recommendation on patio

Allright guys here is the situation.Patio will be multi-levels, level 1 400 sq. ft. level 2 750 sq. ft. with 2 sets of steps connecting the levels another set of steps going to the pond.Level 1 has an existing concrete patio 10'x12'x8" thick. The patio is in excellent condition, but severly sloped away from the house (3/4 per foot).The homeowner does not feel the need to remove the existing concrete and would like me to run the pavers over top and extend. I on the other hand am leaning towards removing the patio and starting from scratch. I believe i may be able to persuade the client this way also but may be a hard sell. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I will try to attach a design picture to show the area better.
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2005, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's what I would do or try.
Leave the existing patio if it is in good shape. Explain there is no warranty on this portion of the patio. Whatever the concrete does the pavers on top will mirror that movement.

To correct the sever pitch. I would screed sand on the current cement patio. Run the pipes parallel to the house. Start with a 1/4-inch pipe then move up to a 1/2-inch then a 3/4-inch then a 1-inch and so on. It would just depend on what desired pitch you are trying to achieve.

Peace,

Rex

LasVegasPavers.Com
Old 03-21-2005, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Rex, thanks for your input. I have already explained to the owners about the possible shifting of the patio and effects on the pavers. i do like the idea of stagering sand depth to eliminate the severe slope. I generally shoot for 3/8" slope away from the foundation. Thanks again.

Skip
Old 03-21-2005, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would tear out the existing concrete patio and start over. youo could run into alot of problems trying to lay over the existing concrete. And if it is already severely sloped, tell them that it needs to be fixed and done correctly and that you can do that for them.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

jreiff, normally, I would agree with you. However, in this case I agree with Rex. We are bidding a driveway that has an existing slab of exposed aggregate concrete in place. This concrete has been in place for over 20 years, doesn't have ANY cracks and is eight inches thick. We are proposing to pave over it. It would be cost prohibitive to remove it, but what's more, I can't justify the cost to remove it. There is no reason for us to believe that overlaying the concrete will fail. Even if we had a blank check, I would still overlay it.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If the patio has already fallen that much, make them understand the likelyhood of it settling more. Obviously they're spending a lot of money and should want the job done correctly. Imagine the mess if they need to tear the patio out later on.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I understood the initial post to mean that the concrete was installed with the amount of slope that exists. If it has settled to that point then I would retract my previous advice.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That just seems like a lot of slope to not be atleast partly due to settling. Around here it is common for steps and patios to come away from new home. We just rip them out and start fresh. Only way know its done right.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildLake
That just seems like a lot of slope to not be atleast partly due to settling. Around here it is common for steps and patios to come away from new home. We just rip them out and start fresh. Only way know its done right.
If what you are saying is the case then I would agree with you. However, if it is sound and was installed with that much slope then I would pave over it.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

8" of concrete, i would hate ot have to tear that out and haul it off. Not a favorite thing to do that is for sure. Good thing you are able to pave over it.

Mbella- If you get that job to pave over that concrete, was wondering if you could post pictures of before, during and after. Just to see how you would go about doing it. Have never had to lay over existing concrete. Well actually will have to this summer. Have a job that has concrete steps at the front door. We did a pretty big paver patio for her last Fall. Now see wants us to tear out her concrete side walk and put in a paver walk way. For the steps, we will leave them in, but she wants pavers over the concrete steps. We will just glue them down. Should be pretty easy.

Would you recommend any other way of doing it?