• Do not apply directly to or near water, storm drains, gutters, sewers, or drainage

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wildstarblazer, Jul 8, 2013.

1. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

Does anybody follow this? Almost every lawn in my state has a drainage ditch in front.
  2. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

3. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

First thing applicators are taught is to read and follow the label. I'm only speaking for myself but the label is the law as far as I'm concerned.
  4. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

Don't worry I'm not trying to bust anybody :laugh: But it would seem if all applicators followed this , a lot of lawns would be all weeds by the ditch and then clean beyond it.
  5. bluescapes

bluescapes LawnSite Member

If you don't go by the label, you are really putting your business at risk. The label is the law
  6. twomancrew

twomancrew LawnSite Senior Member

I almost bought Hyvar today but asked to see the label first and it says right on it not for gravel, not for pavement, not for urban areas, and I wanted it for that reason. Gravel drives and parking lot cracks. The salesman said it was an ag product... and that was all he said. I passed on the Hyvar. Follow the label, and I see misuse everywhere. EVERYWHERE!
  7. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Good for you. If you can see desirable trees, shrubs, or turf while you are standing where a Hyvar application is contemplated, kiss those plants good bye. Hyvar moves down and sideways very well. I once sprayed a fenceline for the military with 10 lb per acre and 8 oz Oust XP. Every bit of brush and every tree within 20 ft of the sprayed band died. Nothing grew back for about 5 years. Which is what they wanted. Normally, you cannot keep bare ground for more than 6 months in Hawaii. I do not want to think about someone using this near an oak or cypress tree. If water washes off the sprayed gravel and into the lawn, there's a problem. Seed won't take unless 12" of soil is scraped off and replaced.

I like Specticle a lot for non planted areas near landscaping. Most large trees and shrubs are tolerant. Only non tolerant thing is cool season grass. But it stays where it is sprayed for the most part. Sureguard is another product to think about. Same thing, safe under trees and shrubs.
  8. Skipster

Skipster LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never seen sulfometuron kill established trees. We use it all the time in forestry re-establishment in the Pacific northwest. Federal Government requires us to spray it directly over the top of newly planted conifers from seedling stage up to the 10-ft tall stage.

I've also never seen any injury or phytotoxicity from Specticle applications to cool season grasses -- and neither have the folks at Bayer. They had a setback from cool season grasses on the label so that the product would be less likely to run (it is quite mobile and will run in rain or on a slope) into cool season areas that might get seeded at some point. The point of that restriction was to keep LCOs from applying next to a tall fescue lawn in the transition zone, wince those lawns generally get overseeded every year and any Specticle that runs onto that area would prevent the overseeding from coming up.
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I have a customer who went to Tractor Supply. He ask the clerk if they had anything that lasted longer than Roundup. Long story short he doesn't have any trees or shrubs and won't for several years.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Labels? Pffft, why bother.