0-0-7 question....atrazine or pendimethalin

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by auhanson, Mar 15, 2006.

1. auhanson

auhanson LawnSite Member

Which is safer for centipede turf. I bought the Lesco pre-m (0-0-7) thinking it was the product with atrazine, but read the label and realized it was the pendimethalin product. Is atrazine still the better/safer chemical for centipede lawns?

Thanks

2. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

http://leon.ifas.ufl.edu/lawn_weed_management.htm

i have used atrazine on centipede here in s ga and have experienced some kill-down, even following labeling. cool(er) days after green-up would be my recommendation. that is kind of an oxymoron here in the south.

3. auhanson

auhanson LawnSite Member

Thanks for the link.

I have used atrazine in the past. It seems you have to be extra careful (i.e. light application) with it here in South Carolina, but in more southern areas (Alabama, Georgia, Florida) you can put it down according to specs and be just fine. I was just unaware/uneducated on pendimethalin. There's not an abundance of products that can be used safely on centipede, so I just wanted some education on pendimethalin before I used it.

I appreciate the input.

4. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

2,4,d works well after the weeds have come up. once again you have to be careful with burning when the weather heats up. even at reduced application rates my grass seems to show a little stress. also, 2,4,d can KILL shrubs and trees if it is watered-in within 24 hours after application when applied underneath/around them. i have even seen it kill trees by "off-gassing" when it has been sprayed in cotton fields. i'm not talking about drifting, either.