1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

0-Turn dealer told me this would happen

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by machsixer, Jul 26, 2006.

1. machsixer

machsixer LawnSite Member

I bought my first zero-turn this spring and I love it! The dealer told me to be aware of customers saying or suggesting they should pay less because now it takes less time to mow the same area. This has indeed happened a few times so far this year. I gently remind them that they are paying for the size of the lot mowed, not the time it takes to accomplish same. Has anyone else (or everyone else) encountered this? How do you handle the dialog when customers try to deal us down on the costs?
  2. hickslawns

hickslawns LawnSite Member

Simply explain to them the $10k pricetag on the commercial ztr mower constitutes the need to make a higher hourly rate. For example-push mower takes 1 1/2 hours to mow and you charge $45. You are getting $30/hr for your $400-500 push mower. Now add in $10k for a ztr and finish the lawn in 30 minutes. You are making $90/hr but also have a lot higher overhead, but you are also leaving their property looking a lot nicer. You were probably further ahead with the push mower in all reality. lol Lot less overhead, repairs, maintenance, and payment.
  3. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

You should never have to "justify" your price to a customer.

When I go out for an estimate, the price is the price, no ifs ands or buts. If you find yourself having a conversation with the customer about why the price is the price, politely thank them for their time and walk away.

I saw a sign at a local sod shop that says:

"you dont negotiate your paycheck, and neither do we"

Of course that may just be the beauty of living/working in FL, there is more work available than LCO's to do it all.
  4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Those customers are either idiots or just trying to play you for a cheaper price.
    Laugh with them and say, "You're joking right? I spent $$$$$ on this mower to be more productive and the money to pay for it isn't coming from my a$$$."
  5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Not that you should you should be lowering your price at all,but out of curiousity what kind of discount are they asking about?

I would tell them that your price is your price and if anything, it is subject to go up because of fuel costs and more overhead. If they are happy with the results, whats the problem?
  6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Tell them to go out, buy a ztr like yours and then ask that question.
  7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Tell them no problem. Next time you pull up to cut do it with a push mower and charge $250 because it took you longer. If they complain then next time start cutting it with a pair of scissors while they watch. It's the same mentality isn't it. Bigger = cheaper, smaller more expensive??
  8. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

I usually tell them "Do you see that yellow machine sitting out there? That is one of the best mowers that money can buy. Nothing else (other than a reel mower) will come close to it as far as quality of cut. That is why I paid 9 grand for it and that is why you pay me $X to cut your grass. Anybody else doing the same kind of job that I am will charge you as much if not more than I do." And if they do not believe me, they can call any other major landscape maintenance company in town.
    Never failed me:drinkup:
  9. machsixer

machsixer LawnSite Member

Thanks all, I'll keep everyone's ideas in mind; especially the one about charging $250 with scissors, very funny!
  10. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

A $100 lawn is a $100 lawn no matter if you cut it with the scissors or with a Z, one just take longer.