00 f-150 150-K how much farther will it go?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Az Gardener, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

This has been the best truck. I have had 0 repairs to the engine or maintenance for that matter only thing I have done is change brake pads, occasionally oil, tires, and actuators for the locks and windows. The kicker is I have a natural gas kit on it so I can run CNG or regular and that allows me to buy cheaper CNG 1.85 now. Problem is the pump is not close and I don't use it much. I also get to license the truck for 15$ a year. Newer truck will cost me 400.00 or so to license. I can't imagine this truck will go much further without some significant repairs. I am trying to decide buy newer 04-05 or just dump the $$$ do repairs as they arise and drive this another 150 or so. If the paint and body were great on this truck it would be a no brainer, but even if I do the mechanical work that I'm sure is coming The truck still has lots of scratches and a few small dents. Am I looking at more in repairs than the thing is worth?

2. bobcat9957

bobcat9957 LawnSite Member

depends how many miles are on it now and how hard it been driven :dizzy:

3. Az Gardener

Its just over 150-K miles and its been in the business 4 years sales/supply 2 years in the field pulling a 12"enclosed trailer and hauling clippings and trimmings. It has been very poorly maintained, oil changes every 6-10-K miles all city driving. Now I am using it again for sales and supply, plants and flowers only.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Why not just dump it and buy another, sounds like there is nothing that special about it, other than it doing what it is supposed to do. Just start the cycle over again. get an 05' and keep it for 4 or 5 years.

5. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Most people around here lease the F150's for two years (80k miles) and they've usually already had their share of problems. I'd say you've done really well with that truck.

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Get rid of it...oil changes every 6000-10000 miles, are you insane? There is no way an engine maintained so poorly will last much longer for you. Dont expect anything on resale/trade in value. Either buy a new truck or a used diesel. Just my 2cents

7. Az Gardener

I wanted to give this a a bump and I just can't believe in 150-K of in town start and stop, in one nursery to another to jobsites. 115 degree weather I havent replaced anything! No starter, no waterpump, no alternater I dont think I have even changed the transmission fluid? The karma works baby.

8. CutRight

CutRight LawnSite Senior Member

im surprised nobody has come in here and just said it lasted so long cause its a ford. where are the ford guys.

If the truck is still running fine and it costs you almost nothing to keep it around. you might as well just keep it and run it into the ground, just dont rely on it, but also buy another one. You will get nothing for resale, its probably more valuable to you to keep it.

Im a GM guy myself.

9. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

i would have the truck painted and spend the money you would have spent on a truck somewhere else. Can you think of some equipment you need? let your money make you more money. That old truck will do the same thing a brand new one will do, they all will break down as long it is consistently reliable that is what counts.

10. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Any truck would be lucky to make it that long with the kind of treatment he's described.

Personally if it runs good and nothing's wrong with it, take it on up to 200k and sell out. Some kid will come around needing a cheap truck and will gladly give you $2500 to get you out of it. 200k seems to be the magic number for most gas engines anyway.