'01 Dodge Stake body 3500

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by oOTurfmanoO, Dec 2, 2007.

1. oOTurfmanoO

oOTurfmanoO LawnSite Member

Or maybe it was an '02.....

I am putting a second truck on the road next year and want it to be a so called "purpose" truck. A good hauling truck that will eventually have a leaf vac hanging from it, mulch, clean-ups etc.

This truck has ~55k V8 gas, 9' bed that would need a hoist put under it, ready to pull and plow mount ready.

Just looking for thoughts on this type of truck or Dodge in general. Price aside, just looking for feedback.

I currently run a '93 f-250

Picture 732.jpg
  2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

That Dodge in the picture is a dually P/U with a flatdeck on it.

You are better off with a Ford F-450 or F-550 truck a 1 ton truck has no legal payload. You put a dump body and all the stuff you want on a 1 ton its loaded already.
  3. oOTurfmanoO

oOTurfmanoO LawnSite Member

I'm not quite sure I understand what your saying, come again.....
  4. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I think he's saying that the stake body alone adds so much weight to the 1 ton itself that you can barely add additional weight....you'll quickly be up to the GVWR. I think that's what he's saying.

For example, an F-550 with a GVWR of 19000# can carry an additional 9,000# EVEN if the truck is outfitted with a dump bed and weighs a total of 10000#..... you get more.

But the stake on that Dodge doesn't look that heavy. Find out what the truck weighs empty.
  5. Gravel Rat

The only way your going to get any "legal" payload out a 1 ton you have to go with a aluminum bed. You guys in the USA get harrassed by the DOT more so being legal is more important.

The tare weight on the truck with a full fuel tank and all the stuff the truck will carry on it perminantly subtract the gvw of the truck will give you the legal payload.

The way that Dodge in the picture is now your max payload being its a P/U truck with the box removed or it looks like it is 4000lbs is the heaviest load you can put on it.

A F-450 has a rough legal payload of 6000lbs a F-550 with 17,500 gvw 8000lbs a F-350 cab and chassis same wb as the 450-550 will have a legal payload of 4500lbs

All estimates your tare weight varies but on average a F-450-550 weighs 9000-9500lbs with a dumping flat.
  6. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

just wondering how you could tell that
  7. Gravel Rat

Just the way the wheelbase looks. A true cab and chassis swb has a 60 cab axle a P/U truck has a 53 inch or something like that. If you had the VIN number it should code to imcomplete vehical.

Dodge never could make a good cab and chassis truck with weak frames and weak suspension. One of the reasons why you never see them used for tow trucks.
  8. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

Could the reason you speak so highly of the 450-550 trucks be because you have one? Just a guess.
  9. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

and their made for work, they tow alot, and do it with ease. especially for payload applictaions. stay away from dodge gas engines in a one ton. and the ford has a hoss of a frame.
  10. Gravel Rat

If it does have a 360 V8 its a pig on fuel and if it has the 318 which I doubt it would be underpowered.

I prefer Ford I have been using them for trucking for the last 15 years. I never seen a Dodge that could carry the same loads as a Ford or a Chev.

Put 2 tons on a Dodge truck with a 12' deck and its flopped on the ground. Dodge P/U trucks are the same you want to carry any load you got to add air bags.

The new 4500-5500 Dodge will be interesting how they turn out