01' F250 Powerstroke - Anything watch out for?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by flairland, Dec 3, 2009.

1. flairland

flairland LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking at an 01 F250 Diesel 4x4 with the 7.3 tomorrow afternoon. Body is a little rough, only has 112,000 kilometers, and has the 5spd manual transmission. Price seems right, I'll likely repaint it because its black and is scratched up a bit, but owner says mechanically it is mint. Just thought wanted to know if I should specifically look for anything with this truck.

2. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Speed shift the trans to see if it grinds. Oil Leaks! Oil pan rusting. U joints since its a manual.

3. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

As long as he doesn't say those 112K are all highway driven by his grandma, it might be worth while if the price is right. I'd have a look through his maintenance history as well. The transmission, transfer case and axles should all have been serviced at least once in the last 40K.

4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Its a 6spd actually, L, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. 01 weak points were the auto trans which you obviously dont need to worry about, and some had Turbo and oil issues. Pull an oasis report to see what was dont under warranty. Otherwise theyre great trucks. 99-03 7.3's were some great strokers. How bout some pics? I had a 01 and loved it. It was black as well. The power and speed wasnt great, but even under a load it was just as fast. Very weird. Seemed to get real good fuel mileage as well. The 6 spd is also a semi bad thing because a lot of trans shops wont touch them. Theyll want you to just replace it. But yeh do those things.

5. flairland

Thanks for the info guys. I think I could get it for 8500, which around here, is more than a steal of a deal, as long as the truck starts and rolls a few inches.. Heres a pic TXNS

IMG00065-20091127-1040.jpg

6. flairland

PS. Does not come with plow or plow mount..

7. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Looks nice, id say its definitely worth 8500.

8. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

Price is way high.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

That is a steal at that price too bad it has the small mirrors. My brother bought a truck that looks almost like that one except it is a F-350 srw.

I cant beleive it only has 112,000 kilometers on it I guess it wasn't driven much.

10. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

An 01' F-250 Reg Cab 4x4 w/ the 7.3 Powerstroke and a 6 speed manual transmission with only 70k miles for $8500? Go for it, that's not a deal it's a steal. I have an 01' Excursion w/ the 7.3 that has 103k miles and it's been a great vehicle.