1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

01 International 4700...Automatic?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by childret, Feb 10, 2009.

1. childret

childret LawnSite Member

Looking at a 2001 International 4700 diesel Automatic. Gross weight 26000. It has a 14 flatbed.....but its an automatic.....good for pulling weight?? I haul sod with a gooseneck to make delieveries....183,00 miles....dealer wants 10,500 good deal???? its emmaculate with a brand new aluminum bed Thoughts?

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If its a 466 with a automatic it would be okay if its a 444 7.3 forget it. I personally don't like automatics they are tough on you brakes and plus the fact when that baby blows up can you say expensive.

Any pictures ?

3. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

You'll need a cdl with that truck right? or atleast with a trailer you will.

4. childret

childret LawnSite Member

yes class a i believe

5. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 01' International 4700 auto w/ a dt466, it pulls pretty well... we tow the lighter equipment such as mini's and skid steers with it all the time and it pulls well, once in a while we'll move the backhoe or 307 excavator (18k lbs) with it localy if my bigger truck is tied up and it pulls ok. i think for towing all the time a manual trans is the way to go, I think the auto loses some power. Thats my opiniom though.

We had a 91' Int. 4600 5spd w/ a 7.3.... that truck was a dog and wouldn't get out of it's own way, so as long a it's got the dt466 you should be good.

As far as the cdl, in jersey atleast, you dont need it for any truck under 26,001 lbs, you do need a class A is the trailer is over 10,001 lbs though.

6. JS Landscaping

JS Landscaping LawnSite Member

We have a 01 International 4600 with the DT 466E in it at the tree company I work for. Also has the allison automatic tranny. It has a huge chip body, and when its loaded and pulling a 9700# Chipper, it definatly wont set any land speed records. Its a slow truck but it does pull. I think the 466E is a very good engine that international puts out. Great truck.