01 Toro Z Master w/ 390 Hours

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky03, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

Allright I posted this a week or so ago and I got the guy down to $3000 for this machine. The machine looks kind of beat up and I don't know how well it was maintained. The guy said he changed the oil every 100 hours and he also had the hydro fluid changed. One of the scalp wheel mounts is bent and I think it is missing the front right scalp wheel. I can't tell if one is supposed to be there or not. Also, the left trim side of the deck has a curled under slice in the metal which I fear could cause future cracking. This mower has the 25 HP Kohler on it which I have heard bad things about. ;) I have not tryed to cut with it yet, but I will before buying. I really don't know I have gotten mixed views on it.:confused: Any ideas on what I should really inspect before buying?

2006_0521Image0001.JPG

2. Husky03

Front view

2006_0521Image0002.JPG

3. Husky03

Trim Side Crack

2006_0521Image0003.JPG

4. Husky03

Shot of 25 HP Kohler

2006_0521Image0004.JPG

5. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Toros have had tremendous problems with their decks bending. With all of the horror stories I've heard of this happening, don't buy without a hands on expierience. Ohter than that it looks good in a pic.

6. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

That statement only holds true to the SFS decks from the past. The new Turbo Force decks are built like a tank. Just wanted to clear the water a bit.

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I bet if it was cleaned up it would look pretty good. Try before you buy and see how it feels and cuts. We can't help you with that part. Exmark and many other companies has used the 25 Kohler as the main engine on the Z's with few problems. Not sure about this engine or how he has taken care of it. Anyway with all the great financing out there on new mowers I would check all my options.

8. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

What is an SFS deck? I am looking at at new Toro estate 400 that is not a turbo force deck but is a fabricated 7ga deck. Is that what you are calling a SFS?

9. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at the deck on the Toro in the picture,that is an SFS deck,short for super flow system.We had one years ago,if you cut 3 inch blades of grass off,that is what is discharged,it does not cut the clippings up well at all.The SFS is a stamped deck,made to be turned out quick and cheap.The Turbo-Force and its adjustable baffling system a whole other creature,first rate,built indestructible.