02 Chevy 2500 HD Trans temp question...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by turbo5560, May 24, 2007.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 LawnSite Senior Member

I just got my new truck, it's an 02 chevy 2500 HD. The owners manual says thats it is ok for the transmission to get into the 260 degree range. Well today it sat around 200 all day in 90 degree weather pulling a trialer. Which by all means may not be a problem. But my old 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 would barely get 125 degrees pulling a trailer. Just wondering if 200 degrees was normal or not and about 150 degrees just driving around town with no trailer.

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

If it helps, mine is usually just about cold but below the midway line. Sorry for the simplicity, I don't remember off the top of my head what the indexing temps are. BTW, I'm talking about an Allison.

3. turbo5560

Ya, mine is not a diesel

4. westcoh

westcoh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alberta

I used to have an 01 2500HD that I used for towing a bobcat around with. On hot days, pulling a heavy load the trans. temp would always stay steady around 200. Dont think it ever went higher than that though.

5. spazfam

spazfam LawnSite Member

Do you have a snowplow prep package on it? We have an 05 Sierra HD and there was an issue where if the truck came from the factory with the prep package they were supposed to change the clutch fan from a 5 bladed to a 7 bladed fan and adjust the computer to allow the fan to come on more often. We had issues when we carried the snowplow, airflow was restricted and the running under tough cond. My tranny temp would spike to 200+ followed by a dramatic rise in engine temp. Had the fan changed and have not had a issue since.

6. teamoneoutdoors

teamoneoutdoors LawnSite Member

Do you havethe Allison tranny?

7. turbo5560

No, I do not have the allison.

8. HBLandscaping

HBLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I have an 02 2500 HD (Gas and No Allison). I just got in after a day of cutting grass and pulling a 8x16 trailer pretty much loaded down. I dont remember of hand but while out tomorrow pulling my trailer I'll keep an eye out on mine and see what mine reads. It was 92 here today and is suppose to be about the same tomorrow so I'll see what mine reads.

9. turbo5560

Ya, it's about 90 degrees here today as well. I just got back as well from pulling a 8 by 16 utility trailer with two z's on it and it ran about 190 or so. It's pretty consistant at 190. I have about 500 miles left on my bumper to bumper warranty so if something is wrong I want to get it fixed asap. :)

10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

260 is cooking your tranny fluid but they can run 200 all day long, the 230 point is where I would get a little worried.