02 Exmark vs new Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by oaky1018, Mar 16, 2008.

1. oaky1018

oaky1018 LawnSite Member

Just wanted some opinions on 02 Lazer Z Exmark 25 Hp AS series 60" deck 250 hrs really clean unit,$4800. or should i buy new 60" 25 hp for $7400 thanks
  2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I'd probably get the new one. There isnt all that much of a price difference, may as well get the new one that you know will be taken care of from the start, rather than inheriting someone else's problems.
  3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

New, plus you get the warranty.
  4. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

If you are paying cash...new would be OK as long as you didn't break the bank. If you need a loan to get either, then the used sounds like a good deal. With only 250 hours sounds like it wasn't run much. A $2600.00 difference is enough to seriously consider the used IMO.

I just purchased a 2000 36'' Exmark Viking for small yards. The LCO who had it has only used it to mow around the shop the last 6 years. It came with 4 sets of blades. mulch kit, and grass catcher. It is in very good condition. I paid $1500.00.

As a third year guy myself, I have no problem with buying used equipment that hasn't been used much and/or well taken care of. You have to check out the guy you are buying from. Take a look around his shop and see how other equipment seems to be taken care of. Call the local dealer he bought from and see if they will give an opinion on the equipment. I have done this and have had cooperation from the dealers. They want to be helpful so when you are in the market for new you go to them.

I have bought more used than new in the last three years and none has ever given me any trouble. I have spent a few more dollars in maintenance, but considering how much was saved by purchasing the used I'm still far ahead than had I bought new. This has also given me more cash to spend on new items.
  5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The amount of hours on the used one would make a difference. Just how much has it been used? Finacing rates are lower on new machines if you go that route. I have no problem buying used, but $7,400 for a 60" Lazer AS isn't bad.
  6. juspayme

juspayme LawnSite Senior Member

7400 is cheap.