02 Lazer concern

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Guardian, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

When I engage the PTO on my 2002 60" lazer, the engine races to high RPMs then drops. I have been running eXmark mowers for over 3 years and have never experienced this. It hasn't seemed to change the performance, but seems to be worsening. My schedule is so full, I haven't had time to take to Seville for a check up. Any idea whats happening?
    thanks,
    Steve

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Guardian,

My initial thought would be that governor adjustment has slipped but it could be several things.

The guys at Seville usually get high marks in terms of technical ability. They should be able to get you back on track pretty quick.

Thanks

Terry

3. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

My friends Lazer w/ a 25 HP. Kohler did the same thing. The arm on the governor slipped and caused the same problem your having. I had to take a hacksaw and cut the opening of the arm so we cuold get a tighter clamp on the governor rod.

4. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Thanks -

Sorry it took so long to reply. It was the governor arm and Seville had me fixed in minutes. However, even though it works, it hasn't been the same since. I still engage the PTO at mid rpms and wait until I hear it rev up and back down, then I max the throttle and go to work. I never had to do this before. Seville didn't think it was a problem. I don't think I'll be able to leave it with them to figure out what else is wrong since we are so busy.

For now I guess I'll live with it

thanks for the help.

Steve

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Steve,

Now that the governor has been adjusted I'd swap out plugs and fuel filters as routine maintenance and see if that makes the difference.

It couldn't hurt and it may fix your problem. When it comes to engines always look at plugs, fuel filters, air filters and chokes. If that doesn't clear it up then it's time to visit your local dealer.

Thanks

Terry