'02 Lazer Front Hubs Grease Zerks ??

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by AltaLawnCare, Aug 25, 2003.

1. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I had a bearing go out on my Lazer recently. Its made to tear down annually and repack with gease, then replace seals.

Just wondering if I could drill out the hubs and install grease zerks?

Also wondering why Exmark used this design?

2. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

O this is a great question? I've had the same problem
  3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Good questions. We switched designs for several reasons. One was the type of seal used prior was susceptible to seepage. The grease could seep out of the bearing for no real apparent reason. This meant that it leaked out onto the dealer show room, in the crates and in the field. The real issue was the field. As we all know dirt sticks to grease and oil and begins to build up. As this debris packs around the seal and bearing it can cause damage and the seal can fail. If you combine the seals natural seepage with over greasing you can begin to see the problem.

The new bearing tend to fail not due to lack of lubrication but due to lack of proper clamp load on the bearing. As the bearing/wheel etc. begin to wear the clamp load on the bearing is decreased which causes the bearing to fail rather quickly. If you then have a few flats and the tire is removed and put back on with out the bearing loading being set properly the failure rate goes up even higher.

To properly set the clamp load on the bearing simply give the tire a spin. If the tire makes more than 1 to 1.5 revolutions then simply tighten the wheel bolt and spin it again. Continue doing so until the tire only spins 1 revolution. This only takes a second so it should be checked any time you have the mower up in the air for blade service.

If you want to add a grease zerk I would recommend changing from the current seal p/n103-0063 to the greaseable seal p/n1-633580. If you add the grease zerk and retain your current seal we are fairly certain the seal will fail if over greased and the bearing life will be reduced.

I hope this answers all your questions.

Let me know if we can be of any further assistance.

4. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the part numbers.

The mecahnic also reminded me that the inner seal on the bearings needs to be removed when making this modification. This will allow grease to get to the bearing.