02' scag turf tiger demo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by captdevo, Jun 23, 2002.

1. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i had a chance to run a Scag Turf Tiger today....what a POS...in my own humble opinion!

23hp efi liquid cooled Kawasaki, suspension seat, 60" deck.

the controls are real hard to push, as a friend said..."it's like pushing a loaded wheelbarrow around, who wants to do that"

i opened it up on flat ground and it bounced and rattled like crazy.

the whole machine was just too busy...meaning alot of nuts and bolts and moving parts ... very few welds.

i didn't care for the clutch system with it's long pto.

why would anyone buy this machine?

they do make a nice walk behind, but they need to go back to the drawing board with their ztr'.

i realize this will get stuff stirred, but it's just my .02

if your looking for a mid-mount ztr...steer clear of scag and go run a hustler, dixie or an exmark.

2. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I totally agree with you and if I aint mistaken the mower that you demo'd is totally redesigned allready (they changed alot of stuff this year) so it will probably be designed this way for a while.

3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I agree also. I had a chance to use my buddys new tiger for a day last year. That machine rode to bumpy I almost flew out of the seat a couple times! The cut quality is also about as bad as that of the toro z master if not worse! Stringers every where! I also dont understand why anyone would buy them besides the fact that there cool looking machines! :laugh:

4. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I have a friend who has been is this business now for 19yrs and all he uses are the Turf Tigers and his lawns always look very nice, i believe its the operators that don't know how to run the machine,and never change-out blades,or clean there decks and such, and as far as the Toro, my 62 Z-Master gives a excellent cut.....My 52" Scag walkbehind also gives a great cut and stripe... Marks Mowing Service

5. captdevo

mark...have you run one?

ask your friend to let ya or go demo a new one, then tell us what you think.

it's a shame after 19 years he hasn't learned there are other machines far more superior than these things....

6. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

i run turf tigers as well including a 2002 w/27 kaw. i couldnt DISagree with you more on your opinions.
    if the end result continues to look like this from SCAG, they will always be "Simply The Best"..............

untitled18small.jpg

7. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a chance to run a 2002 turf tiger with the 27 kawisaki and i loved it, i am going to buy one in a couple of months. I already own a 52" tiger and it cuts excellent, but that is my .02 cents. I have ran exmark and it does not cut bahia grass worth a s#@% it had brand new blades and it left strigers all over the place, my turf tiger does not.:D

8. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

one more

untitled12small.jpg

9. captdevo

i didn't say it didn't cut good...that is a nice job, but it rides like ****!

doesn't it?

any problems with things coming loose and/or rattling?

it's not a machine i would want to be on for more than 5 minutes....in fact, i think it jarred my back (know any good ambulance chasers?)..lol

10. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2001 Tiger 52inch 23Kaw on it. Yes the ride can be a bit harsh on rough terrian but you get used to it, Scag also makes those suspension seats you have to order it special otherwise you get the standard seat.
    The control levers are fairly easy to use, controls are easy, um its built like a tank, and the PTO clutch hasnt let me down at all.
    Only thing im disappointed is the striping on some lawns, i can get stripes like Lawnsmith but on others it leaves a funny looking mark down the middle of the stripe. Still working on trying to get that to go away. But it cuts everything alright, doubles on the thing work great, have little to no power loss and it cuts the grass up that you barely see the clippings.
    Scag makes good walkbehinds, just have to work on redesigning there ZTR decks more.
    Id buy a new Tiger anyday with the big Kaw on it
    Matt (lawnman)