03 dodge ram for $10,250

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by shade tree landscaping, Apr 3, 2007.

1. shade tree landscaping

shade tree landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering what you guys thought about this deal. An 03 Ram 1500, 2wd, auto with 36,700 miles for $10,250, good deal or no? Only real option is auto transmission. Decent shape outside, spotless inside. Good deal or no? I only have about 10k to spend on a truck, need a new(er) one ASAP. Just asking opion on the deal and if any has had any major problems with this truck. THanks in advance guys

http://www.shadetree-landscaping.com

2. Lawns by Steve

Lawns by Steve LawnSite Member

Sounds like a good deal to me, I had a 99 dodge regular cab and I bought a new one in 05 but a quad cab this time around. I love the dodge p/u. I have had no problems with mine.:usflag:

3. BW Landscaping

BW Landscaping LawnSite Member

:gmctruck: I just got the 03 dodge 1500, great truck, pulls with no problem and looks great!!! just likes the gas! i love this truck

4. paul vroom

paul vroom LawnSite Senior Member

I was l looking at a similar dodge. a lot of guys on here told me the tranny on the 1500 was not geared for pulling a trailer. Check my posts, I asked the same questions and got some exellent feed back. I ended up finding a 1995 Ford F-350 with 40,000 miles for $4000. There are deals out there.

5. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

My buddy had a '05 Ram 1500 and he beat it to heck over the two years he had it. He is a general contractor and towed with it and hauled sometimes two tons at a time in the bed. He had 1-ton helper springs but still that's a lot. He was gonna sell it becuase he could tell that the tranny was startin to go but he didn't get a chance before a drunk totaled it for him. He loved the truck but the tranny couldn't do what he wanted it to so I would do some research on that tranny. Other than the tranny, that truck was a rediculous beast considering what he put it through.

6. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have an '03 Dodge Quad Cab 1500. I pull my trailer with it and it does just fine. (6x12 trailer) I have heard of these trucks having tranny problems. Actually, I talked to someone that has had tranny problems.....sometimes it doesn't want ot go into overdrive. They have one with a hemi in it. I don't know if the small V8 has the same tranny. But, I like mine a lot and haven't had any problems with it. (Knock on wood)

7. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 1995 dodge ram 1500 auto, and i have used it on the farm pulling huge silage wagons out of feilds and down 5 miles to another farm and back after they were unloaded. also towing huge loads of hay and straw and FIREWOOD i had my truck stacked up to the roof with firewood i thought my mudflaps were gonna hit the ground and i just have the 1500 springs. the thing is to shut your overdrive off ya more gas but also you wont mess up that gear. keep your fluid clean with pulling alot i change the trans. filter every 40,000 miles, every 80,000 i take it to the shop to changed all the transmission oil and filter (just cause there is no way i can do it with out the thing they use.) i tow a trailer every day full of medle or a car or lawn equipment or just the trailer. the only problim i had was a transmission line rusted out and i got it home before it did any damage and replaced it. THE KEY IS TO KEEP THE FLUID CLEAN AND SHUT OVERDRIVE OFF WHEN PULLING A HEAVY LOAD.

my aunt pulled a trailer with 4 cows back to our farm didnt shut the over drive off on the 1994 gmc 2500 and it was about 250-300 miles and there was lots of hills we were about 100 miles from our house and the over drive went out that truck lasted 2 months and then the rest ofthe gears went out even park and it was stuck in reverse so you could drive all around in reverse. we need to get a new trans. $5000 later and now it just sits cause they got 2 new trucks and didnt sell that one after it was fixed. 145000 on it and never changed the fluid or filter so that had alot to do with it.

8. MacLawns

MacLawns LawnSite Member

I had(past tense) an 03 2500 w/ hemi. had more problems(small) than i care to list. traded it in for a new 07 2500 hemi. I hope it was either that year or only this particular truck that had problems, otherwise I liked it. by the way I got $10,000 for the trade, owed $11,500. the body was nicked and dinged a bit, it WAS a work truck.