03 dodge2500 or F250 V8? which one?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by THEoneandonlyLawnRanger, Sep 21, 2007.

1. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

Guys, Im looking at an 03 dodge 2500 4x4 ext. cab v8 with 50k on it and a 2003 f250 ext. cab with v8 with 79k on it. Both the same price $17,995 They are both in excellent condition with many of the same features so im having a hard time deciding on the best buy of the two? what would you do? I would only be towing a 6x10 trailer and a camper occasionally so it would pretty much be a daily driver. What do you think would be the best deal.......a dodge with lower miles or a ford with 20k more miles ?
  2. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally I'd say Dodge cause it looks nicer IMO.

Comparing trucks like that, its pretty even in all aspects.

Have you ever thought of going Diesel? Cummins are amazing and you can pick up a nice one with under 150k for less than $20k. The long-term reliability and durability might be something to think about....
  3. AndyTblc

AndyTblc LawnSite Fanatic

Dodges are harder on gas. Fords do pretty good. They look a lot better too.
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Ford, only because the Dodge will fall apart eventually. I've yet to see a Dodge truck with 130K+ miles on it that wasn't falling apart, both interior and exterior.
  5. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

ford, much better truck. and engine.
  6. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Probably a pretty even comparison.
    I'm more a Dodge guy but not a huge fan of the hemi for towing, but you're towing pretty light.
    Either truck will serve you well for what you want to do.
    Since these are both gas engines I would be leaning toward the lower mileage truck. There also might be some factory warranty left on the Dodge.

Good luck.
  7. newdude

newdude LawnSite Member

I know someone with a 87' that has 190,000+ miles, then again it has a 12 valve cummins that has never been driven hard. funny, it shows very little rust and it has GMC rims. Makes me laugh. Someone said that those rims are what is making it last, lol. Go with the dodge, jmo.
  8. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

If you're going to drive it very much, I'd get the Ford. I haven't talked to anybody with a Hemi that claims more than about 13 mpg.
  9. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Good point. I've heard more like 15mpg highway. (which is still pretty rough)
    Is the 5.4l that much better? My cousin has one in an expedition and gets around 15 on the highway. I've heard the v10's do just as well as the 5.4 at highway speeds.
  10. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

what rear end is in each truck?....gear ratio

3.73?.......better mpg, better use for you
    4.10?.......worse mpg, better towing but for more work then you'll give it