1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

04 Exmark Turf Tracer Throttle Issue

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Ravenwood Landscaping, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Ravenwood Landscaping

Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member

We purchased this 04 48" WB back in November. The engine only starts when you put the choke on despite how long it's running. Once it's on, it idles fine. However, the moving the throttle seems to have little/no impact on the engine speed. It doesn't ever get up to a higher speed. Everything seems attached and moving on the outside of the engine, so I'm at a loss for what the cause could be. Any ideas from my terrible description?
  2. Ironic

Ironic LawnSite Senior Member

does the linkage at the engine move, when you move the throttle lever?
    something has to be disconnected or broken somewhere.
    get a buddy to move the throttle, as you watch the engine.
    pics help sometimes too, if you're having trouble describing the problem.
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

TOOMUCHWALKING LawnSite Member

Sometimes it's easier and cheaper to go straight to a new carburetor
  5. Exterior Concepts

Exterior Concepts LawnSite Member

Check and see if the linkage moves at the carb when you move the throttle.If the throttle cable is too long the whole cable will move with-out the inside wire pushing the linkage.
  6. Ravenwood Landscaping

Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I haven't had time to grab the numbers but it is the 17hp Kawasaki for this mower.

The throttle cable moves the carb when the engine is off but when the mower is running, it doesn't. I thought that was very weird, but I'm no engine expert.

Probably our best recourse is to take it to a shop. I don't think my partner and I know enough, and I'd hate to see the two of us destroy the engine tinkering. I might give it another go or two, but we'll see.
  7. Exterior Concepts

Exterior Concepts LawnSite Member

When you move the throttle watch and see if the cable moves around a lot without moving the linkage on the carb.If it does you need to cut some of the length off the whole inner and outter cable,just be sure to leave it long enough to hook back up.I just bought a couple of new Husqvarna walk-behinds and had a problem with the throttle not working because the cables were too long.