'04 F350 6.0L questions..

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by PlatinumLandCon, Mar 22, 2008.

1. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm lookin at a '04 F350 auto 4x4 CC LB with the 6.0L diesel. I've heard bad things about the 6L but is it really a concern? The truck has 153k on it.
  2. kubotab7200

kubotab7200 LawnSite Member
    from Newkirk

yes thats a huge concern, i have never owned one but ive seen thier problems. one friend bought a 2003 model brand new he had 2 months and had 2 put a new set of heads on it, in the year and half he had it they put 3 sets of heads on it, and the turbo went out once. another friend had one also new an 04 model, he had it a year and it was in the shop 7 months out of that year. almost exactly one year after he purchased it it cought on fire in his garage and burned the truck and the garage down. also another friend has one and has had no trouble with it in 2 years. thats 2 big of a gamble for me 2 own one. i would go with a d max or cummins, hope this helps!!
  3. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

run from it the fuel mileage sucks when pulling a trailer that was the only reason I traded my 04 in with only 51,000 miles
  4. kubotab7200

from Newkirk

How Do Double The Value Of A Ford?

Fill It Up With Gas!!!!!!!
  5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The 6.0s worst enemy is the dealer. If the dealer mechanics are no good at diagnosing and repairing problems with the 6.0 they have problems. You look at 99% of the problems and it is dealer related. It also is the owner of the vehical causing the problems like adding mods etc.

My 03 has been pretty well problem free it had a ICP valve change and I changed the EGR valve and had a reflash. I bought the truck used it has 78,000kms (48,470 miles) on the odo. I know two 03 6.0s that have been trouble free both one owner trucks and a familly friends 04 6.0 trouble free. There are numerous other 6.0s in the area that are trouble free.

That truck you are looking at mcb is a little high on the mileage or it is for us here in Canada it has 244,800kms which is quite abit anything above 200,000kms you take a risk.

I'am not scared of the 6.0 I would take a 6.0 over a Duramax or Cummins. For one the GM dealer has no compentent diesel mechanics and the Dodge dealer has no diesel mechanic you buy a diesel truck from the Dodge dealer you have to fix it yourself or drive 200 miles to another dealer.

Would I buy the truck mentioned maybe but like I said it is a little high on the mileage. It doesn't matter if its a Duramax or Cummins when your reaching the 240,000km mark the truck is worn out. A Dodge at 240,000kms has had the front end,brakes,unit wheel bearings,rear springs all replaced. Chevy all the ball joints and A arm bushings will be need replacing.

On the Ford 4x4s it is brakes and ball joints.

A 2003 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins power with 244,000kms you will be lucky to get 8000.00 for it a Chev you may get the same a Ford 12,000.

There are more 6.0 Fords on the road than Dodge or Chevy trucks. The new 6.7 Dodge trucks are having worse problems the 6.0s ever dreamed of the Dodge dealers are not selling many 6.7s with their horrible fuel mileage and problematic emmision systems and Dodge dealers with untrained mechanics and Cummins dealers don't want anything to do with Dodge P/U trucks.
  6. kubotab7200

from Newkirk

ball joints and a arm bushings on chevys go out after about 200 000 miles trust me ive owned a couple of them and they served me well. and the d max will outrun and out pull the 6.0 powerjoke all day long and get twice the fuel milage doin it. ford had a good diesel and they had to mess it up. and gm has no competant diesel mechanics becuz they dont need them unlike ford. a good friend of mine works at a ford dealer in the parts department and he told me they replace 5 or 6 turbo chargers a week. and at least with gm u dont worry about cruise catchin on fire or watchin the news and seeing ur ford truck on the recall list again. i would rather put ball joints on a chevy at 200 000 miles than pay for a ford that wont make it that far!!!
  7. kubotab7200

from Newkirk

go with another chevy you wont regret it!!!
  8. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

My 04 6.0 has almost 60k now and still no problems to speak of. Alot of the retoric regarding the 6.0 is the early 2003 models. After 153k I would feel safe buying it.
  9. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

So your over here from plow site lol. Well I plow with a 6.0L, Currently has 120,000 KM on it. I bought it at 80,000. So far it has New head gasket, new turbo and new EGR cooler. However this was cause by the last guy, who beat the hell out of it with a tuner. I would not buy any other truck, I love mine. All work has been done under warrentee, but if you are at 152,000 I would get it checked out before it runs out of warrentee. An oasis report is key, however having a dealer check it out is important.

My diesel mechanic in Burlington is second to none (it is a ford dealership), it would be worth your time bringing it down to get him to check it out. Like GravelRat said, MECHANIC IS KEY and my guy is top notch, very glad I found him. Also do you really want a LB CC? Nightmare for plowing.

10. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm now considering what Gravel Rat said. It does have a lot of km's for an 04. I'm now looking at a '99 Ram 2500 cummins 4x4 QC LB.

I have 2 friends that are certified "Truck & Coach" mechanics (both graduated from my high school 3 years ago) and now they're working at truck shops. The one guy works at a Mack/Cummins specialized shop 5 mins from my house and the other works at a HUGE International dealership about 15 mins from my house. My uncle has also owned the cummins 5.9L since they came out in '89 (i think?).

The guy wants $11,500 for a the Ram w/ 240,000km. Good deal?