1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

05 ford 6.0 questions

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DBFlawn, Dec 13, 2010.

1. DBFlawn

DBFlawn LawnSite Member

hey everyone, i have a 2005 ford 6.0, ive been doing a little bit of reading lately, more than i did before i bought it, and i keep reading things about egr problems? i dont fully understand what the problem is with them and i know theres a delete kit for them but what is the benifit? will the truck still pass emmissions with the delete kit? do i even need to take my truck to emissions? its a F550 is that matters at all.

i appreciate any help in advance
  2. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

These engines are absolute junk. Specially early units like this 05 model, avoid like the plague.

Forget EGR, the whole fuel system was never perfected, injectors go bad all the time, cost an arm and a leg, fuel lines leak, pumps act up. The compound turbochargers fail in series and require the cab to be lifted off when replacing. Another weak point are the head gaskets and take 15hrs to replace when done by experts, forget diy.

Yes they are that bad, get something else... anything else.
  3. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

Egr and oil coolers are the major problems in these engines both can be fixed with better parts. Either delete the egr but then you have to get a tuner and will not pass emissions or get a bulletproof diesel egr it's designed to flow better and solves that problem without any tuners and still legal. You will have to flush the cooling system and change the coolant to a cat elc coolant or something similar, ford coolant isn't the best and clogs the egr causing blow headgaskets because of overheating. Oil coolers get clogged and send oil through the cooling system and out the degas bottle. My 05 had my oil cooler go at 67k because I waited too long and ended up with alot more work then if I did it before. In the 05's it's a good idea to change the oil drain pipe to a newer one that flows better and the improved hpop kit. The job isn't that bad just be prepared to spend the whole weekend to do the egr and oil cooler because there is alot to take apart and clean. If you go to bulletproof diesel they have alot of info and pics of the parts that fail and why.
  4. DBFlawn

DBFlawn LawnSite Member

Ive already bought the truck and have had it for about a year and a half, im 100% satisfied with it had injectors done at 129k and now its for well over 155k on it and it runs great daily.
  5. DBFlawn

DBFlawn LawnSite Member

Does this truck NEED to go to emissions? Ive taken it before, im just wondering if its required or not, i know people that take their pre 1995 cars for emissions even thought they dont have to go. And yeah i know about the injectors and head gaskets ive done them once on mine. Ive been pretty lucky id say with it since its got over 155k on it and pretty problem free. Ive read about the bullet proof stuff and their a deffinate consideration, do you know how much they run installed?

thanks alot guys i really appreciate it :waving:
  6. SimonCX

You have to check with dmv if it needs emissions, I know in nj my 1 ton diesel is self inspection but the 3/4 has to go to dmv because they go by gvw of the truck. Honestly I have no idea how much it would cost to install the bulletproof kit. I did it in 2 days but that was my first time and I changed out some extra stuff, my truck was also blowing oil out of the degas bottle so it had alittle more cleaning then if everything is ok. If I had to do it again I could probably get it done in one day so I couldn't image a mechinic taking more then 7-8 hrs. Once you look at the ford egr and bpd egr it's a very big difference in flow.
  7. DBFlawn

DBFlawn LawnSite Member

thanks for the help, seems like you know alot about the 6.0's. ill call my dmv when i get the chance next, if you dont mind me asking 1 more question, i know you said theres a flow difference, but do you feel a performance gain or is this just some good preventative maintenance?
  8. SimonCX

It doesn't really give you any preformance gains but the truck is running cooler with everything changed over. It just comes down to fixing something that is prone to breaking so you don't have to deal with it in the future. If bought another 6.0 it would the first thing I would change so it doesn't cause the mess I had in my truck.
  9. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I ripped all the emissions and other drap out of my early '05 and it gets better fuel economy and better low end torque, no chip or programmer, just open dual pipes.
    We don't need to pass emissions tests here for the big trucks, but it will come soon, so hopefully my truck will be a heap of scrap metal on the front of a Mack truck or sold to some rich white kid who dreams of being a big rig trucker.
    I always yank around 20,000 pounds and my EGT's dropped 150 degreesF on the highway.
    I do want to put a programmer on it next year though.
  10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I love how people just blatenly call the 6.0 a POS I have two of of them no major problems the one needed a turbo (under warranty) and the one I currently have needed a FICM.

You should check your regulations on emmissions before you go deleting the EGR cooler etc. You may pass without it but if they don't see it you will fail.

There is a upgraded aftermarket EGR cooler if you have emmissions testing.

Keep in mind emmissions testing or not it is ILLEGAL to remove the emissions control system.