05' Ford Verse GM Diesel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by selnoil, Nov 18, 2004.

1. selnoil

selnoil LawnSite Member

I'm looking to buy a new 05' diesel. I'm a ford guy but my local dealer said they are having problems with the diesel engines. I'm very excited that Ford went back to the solid front axle (great move!!!). I can get a 250HD 8' bed extended cab 4x4 and its GVW is 10,000 SRW with towing 12,500 (15,600 5th wheel), thats awsome!!!! Step up to the 350 and the GVW is 11,200 SRW (single rear wheel). Those are incredible #'s!! Fords new integrated trailer brake control sounds pretty cool also :cool2:.

The Duramax is an awesome motor but GM is about 10k more :cry: . I have one in my GMC 4500, nice truck. This new ride will be mine not for the boys :) .

Has anyone had or heard about Ford diesel problems? I've had no problems with my 96' ford power stroke.

Mike

2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Selnoil, I just purchased a new 2005 f250 diesel lariat fx4 about 3 weeks ago. I love everything about the truck! Going from a f150 to a f250 makes every difference in the world pulling a trailer. I got every option on the truck that they come with but the sunroof. Here is a site that I found that talks about the ford diesel and the problems that occur (if any) http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/ . It looks like most of the problems were back in 2003. I will post pics sometime of mine when i get a chance.

3. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

ive got an 2001 f350 super duty dooley ext. cab 4x4 with the 7.3 turbo powerstroke in it.... i love the thing.. tows anything i need it to with no problems.... i had some warrenty work being done to the truck itself ( not the engine) and borrowed a firend of mines 6.0 dooley to haul one day with.... let me tell you... what a huge difference the 6.0 was in his, it would run circles around my 7.3. i can guarentee i would get a 6.0 for my next truck. another friend of mine has a chevy dooley with the durajap engine and the allison( oh so feminine)sp?? transmissopn in it . He pulls a 32' gooseneck horse trailer .... oh man what a slow piece of junk... it takes forever to get up to speed in that thing compared to the powerstrokes ... we always give him a hard time bout it..... just my .02 and my experiences

4. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

My 04 3500 Chevy Duramax/allison was a full $7,000.00 less than a comparable F-350 Ford, plus I know I am not playing Russian Roulette with the transmission. The engine is smoother, and has more power than the Ford, the driveshaft is a full 6" in diamter with class 6 truck U-joints.

I am so turned off from Fords former transmission choices I am going to wait another year before I will consider one again. I am very curious to see reports from snow plowers and from transmission shop owners after 4 or 5 seasons on the trannies, not owners who are either pro Ford, or pro Chevy...

One of my concrete pumper subs had an 03 F-350 he wasted 4 trannies in, and lemon lawed the truck to buy a Chevy. He has 94,000 miles on the 03 Chevy and it has never had a problem.
    Another person I know had an 04 Excursion with a 366 cubic inch diesel and the Torqeshift in it...He owns a transimssion shop. He lemon lawed that vehicle and bought a chevy.
    Then I hear from others who, have not had any issues at all. As I said before, I'm cautiously optimistic about the new Ford tranny. Thus far I have 16,000 miles on the duramax and no probelms at all. I had to drive to LA a while back and put 27 gallons of fuel in and went 483 miles before having to stop. I will admit, this was the highest milage I got, and I do not run the highway for that long a run alot. With what we have to pay for any brand of truck, the manufacturer owes us a truck that will run 200,000 miles with no engine/tranny/driveline issues. I'm not holding my breathe for that one.

5. Tevi

Tevi LawnSite Member
    from KY

Ford always had a solid front axle what the did was go yo a coil suspension instead of leaf spring.The problems with the 6.0 were in the beginning of introduction in 04.Chevy sells about 140k diesel pickups and Ford sells over 300k.Compare the specs and a Ford is so far superior.I've got a 99 Ford with 218k mile and I've got a 2000 GMC with 60k.The Ford has held up a lot better than the GMC.I'm not talking major things just the quality of mayerials and workmanship.

6. selnoil

selnoil LawnSite Member

Tevi, I think you are wrong! My 96' f250 w/ diesel has the crumby scissor front suspension, now on the other hand the 350 has always had the solid axle.

I'm hoping to get more feed back about the 04' & 05' diesel issues. I now all the Ford verse GM stuffbut need the diesel and transmission feedback.

Mike

7. Tevi

Tevi LawnSite Member
    from KY

8. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

You still haven't considered the Torqshift. It does not have the solenoid problems the Allisons have.

9. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have a post-Nov. '03 Engine you will be fine. The early ones had some programming issues and those were taken care of.

The transmissions have been solved. The Torqshift is the best there is on the market. The Ford is more efficient on the driveline than GM or Dodge. Thats why the PSD/TS combo outperforms the more powerful Duracrap and Crummins. The new Ford F-350 Tow Boss can pull 19,200lbs. Compared to 16,800 for Chevy. Ford has higher payload of 5800lbs. compared to 5400 for Chevy and 5200 for Dodge. The Ford also has a stouter frame.

10. Tevi

Tevi LawnSite Member
    from KY

Duramax also has an injector problem and when they fail there is a 2 week national backorder minimum