05 Lazer Z XS

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by thrasher428, Nov 18, 2007.

1. thrasher428

thrasher428 LawnSite Member

Hey Exmark I have a 2000 Lazer Z 25 hp that has over 3000 hours and a 04 27 hp that has over 2000 hours on it. They have had 1 belt replaced. They cut ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!
    BUT............ theres only one problem though. i have a 05 Lazer Z XS that has 600 hours. every since I bought it it has never produced the perfect smooth carpety cut that the old ones do . i have checked to make sure that they are cutting at the same height and the new one is cutting a 1/2 of an inch higher than the old ones. BUT even if i cut a half of an inch lower than the old mowers it STILL doesnt cut as good. i have changed deck belts, all the specs on blade overlap and changed the deck pitch from a 1/4 to an 1/8 of an inch and it still doesnt cut no where near as good as the old ones. the blades are in perfect condition and the dealers shop has checked everything as well. the rpm's are correct also. the difference visually between the two is the old mower sucks all the grass up and cuts ALL of it off even when your looking over the crest of any yard you want to look in. the new mower cuts and you can walk through the grass and the majority of the grass is cut but theres alot of blades sticking up that isnt cut,(stragglers i think you call it). in order to make the new mower cut as good as the old ones you have to run double high-lifts. the crappy cut is at anywhere from 2 1/2inches or higher at any speed. whats wrong with this thing??? ive done all i know to do. its very depressing for me to not have a beautiful cut in ANY yard that im mowing. the grass type is all a mixture of fescue and your normal weeds. theres no line of uncut strips of grass left in between the blades though. did they make some kind of small changes to the ultracut from 04 to 05?. i would really appreciate it if you could point me in a good direction besides trading it.
    Thanks

2. thrasher428

??????????????????????????

3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

The company I work for purchased a 2005 XS 60" and we had cut problems initially. The dealer told us that for some reason the Ultracut paired with the XS was giving cut quality problems. They installed, if I remember correctly, a anti-blowout baffle. It's basically a 'L' shaped piece that bolts to the front baffles I think and it helped quite a bit. We purchased a 66" Triton this year and it cuts better hands down. You're the first person on hear that I've read about this problem.

4. thrasher428

Thank you jtkplc can you find out what exactly it is that they installed I would see if my dealer could find out about it. They said they did not have any ideas as of what to do since everything seemed fine.
    Thanks

5. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Here is the website of the dealer that my company dealt with on fixing this issue. Go down to the third store, Mason, and give them a call. They should be able to answer your question.

http://www.dgequipment.com/Locations.htm

6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

thrasher428,

Give jtkplc's solution a try. If you still aren't satisfied, please come back and we'll discuss next steps.

KC

7. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Thrasher,

Sorry I've been so long in getting with you, one of those deals where I thought 'he' was doing it and 'he' thought I was...

In cases like this where we're comparing like machines, we always say, 'the answer is in the other machine, we just have to find it.'

As far as the decks are concerned, they are exactly the same. 99 times out of a 100 on issues like this, it's one of the following...deck rake, cutting height, or blade tip speed.

Deck Rake:
    If the deck size is the same as your old machines, mirror their deck rake on the new machine. If you have 60's, typically that's going to be about 3/16" to a 1/4" of positive rake. Meaning with the blades pointed to the front and back, the front tip of your center blade should measure about a 1/4" lower than the rear tips of your outside blades. However, if your old machines have something different and it's working...go with that.

Cutting Height:
    Does it cut better when you drop it down? If so, I think our answer is right here. You said the cutting height of the new one is a 1/2" higher so you lower it a 1/2" to match the other machines. You probably already have, but re-measure the cutting height once you've dropped it a 1/2", keeping in mind the rake as well.

Blade Tip Speed:
    Make sure that your load and no load engine RPM's are where they need to be. I know you stated you've had the RPM's checked, but I'd do it again, this is the number one thing we see...and the first time through everyone always says...'I've already checked the RPM's, and they're good'. On an XS, the engine no load should be 3750 to 3800 RPM, and it should drop off more than a 100-150 RPM with the blades engaged. Either of these being off will cause a reduction in blade tip speed and lead to poor performance. Also, take a look at both of the idlers, the mule drive Idler and deck drive idler. I remember hearing some with the new style idlers being assembled incorrectly early on. This could cause drag on them and could make the idler hang up giving an opportunity for the belt to slip.

Also remember the XS goes 2 or 3 miles an hour faster than the standard Lazer. It could be that the original machines just happen to be right at that threshold for your properties. Does it do better if you slow down?

Let us know how these work out.

Thanks,
    Lenny

8. thrasher428

Thank you Exmark I will look at those things and let you know something in the spring and thank you to jtkplc for trying yo help also.

Thanks

9. thrasher428

Hey I was trying to order the anti-blow out baffle that jtkplc was telling me about but there is to many to choose form there is a FLANGED BAFFLE KIT (Which dgequip gave me the part number to), SCROLL BAFFLE, FLOW CONTROL BAFFLE KIT, WELDMENT BAFFLE FRONT, and a BLOWOUT REDUCTION BAFFLE KIT. I was wandering what the difference in these were.
    Thanks for your help

10. thrasher428

Noone know anything about this?