1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

05 Toro vs 05 Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LB Landscaping, Mar 26, 2005.

1. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I am in the market for a mid mount Z. Checked out the new Toro Z400 and an Exmark Lazer Z HP. Both with a 52" deck and 23 horse kawi. It seems Toro has really made some cool improvements for 05. Anyone else notice? Put the two mowers next to each other and the Toro looks like a tank. Never been much of a Toro fan but definatly has me looking hard.
  2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We looked at the exmark b/c of the price, it seemed to be cheaper than the others. But after further investigation we agreed you get what you paid for. Sorry, but the mower just 'looked' cheap to us. We don't like the fact that the spindle housing didn't have a grease fitting, no hydro oil cooler, the gauge steel on the deck isn't as good when compared to other company's products. Also, upon reading this site and doing some searches aparently the exmark commercial warranty sounds good on paper. But, when it comes to actually fixing it, it is a different story. I remember reading something about how they guarantee overnight parts delivery...but when you read the fine print it is only on what they manufacture....so the example I remember was the tire, they didn't manufacture it so it wasn't considered an overnight part. Also, you void your warranty by adding 'doubles' cause its not recommended. I dunno, just didn't like the vibe I was getting.

Although, I do see a lot of LCO's in the area using exmarks. Funny thing is they are all newer LCO's that are just getting into the market (I think, judging from the equipment we see). However, those that appear to have been in the business awhile are running either Bobcat or SCAG, and these units look like they have been through the war...which is what we like to see.

Sorry, exmark guys, just an opinion of what I have viewed, researched, and read. Have not demoed one so I can't comment on the quality of cut or ease of use.
  3. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

one thing with exmark is dealer support, i cant say a enough good thinks about mine.
  4. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Ive had both toro and exmark and I like the exmark best, I havent tried the new 400 toros yet but untill the toro dealer stops being a jack ass to me and starts providing better service to me Im not buying dittly squat from them. As for my exmark dealer, they have bent over backwards for me and have I think the best product on the market.
  5. fazzy815-66

fazzy815-66 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a toro 44"sf (3yr old) And do not like it ,it cuts ok as a finishing mower but get in long or wet grass and it clumps bad.Im buying a new Z now and considered the new Toro because the improvments looked awesome.(Toro did their homework)Im still leary because of the bad experiance with the super flow deck.Anyone tried the new turboforce decks?? how do the cut?? :angel:

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I noticed the Toro! I liked the beefer handles over the exmark. I am a new guy and before seeing that Toro friday I was all about the exmark Z but I like that toro. But Exmark walk-behinds are great!
  7. Go for the Green

Go for the Green LawnSite Member

ExMark customer support is much better than Toro. Better parts availability etc..ExMark understands the commercial landscaper where Toro is mostly homeowner and trying to get into the landscaper business.

Who needs those big freakin handles?? The ExMark (and other brands) handles don't break! Better cutting deck on the ExMark as well. Almost all of the well established landscapers in my area use ExMark or Scag...Toro is non existant!

Toro's commercial division is still called......EXMARK!
  8. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

The delaer carries both so I'm not worried about better service on one vs the other. The Toro frame is built out of 2" square stock which is alot stronger than the Exmark, but I question if it's even needed (probably just adds weight to the overall machine). The baffle system is cool, being able to adjust the flow of the grass could be helpful depending on the situation. The spindles are a hell of alot larger than anything else I've seen. Overall a real beefy machine, I just wonder if it's overkill.
  9. turfmastersplus

turfmastersplus LawnSite Member

that's why toro bought exmark for all there ideas and got tiered of being outsold :D
  10. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

When I go to buy my next mower I am going to make sure that I can demo them on the same turf so I can see which one has a better quailty of cut. Thats what it comes down to in my opinion.