1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

'05 walker 26 hp efi ran out of gas wont start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by NLAPOINT, Jul 24, 2006.

NLAPOINT LawnSite Member

ran out of fuel and wont restart 26 hp efi kohler 05 walker ghs
  2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

That system runs at 35 to 40 PSI and if the pump runs dry it can burn it up so a timing relay is used in the set up. Turn the switch to the run position and listen for the pump to run. It should run for about 5 to 10 seconds before switching off. If it does not check the fuel pump fuel. A bad fuel pump relay can cause a problem as well. Now the fuel pump is controled by the ECU so you may need to reset it. Unhook the battery and wait a minute or so. Then rehook up the battery and then see if the pump is runing. NEVER remove or install a battery wire with the engine running or jump start an EFI unit. It WILL fry the ECU which will cost you $400 plus

PS. I work on Walkers for a living

NLAPOINT LawnSite Member

Thanks For Your Quick Reply I Just Signed Up Tonight The Fuel Pump Is Coming On Should I Still Unhook The Battery And Reset It Or Not
  4. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

You should be able to cycle the fuel pump 5 or 6 times to get fuel back to the injectors. If it's an older unit with a metal cased ECU then you will have to cylce it by the key switch. If it has a plastic cased ECU just turn the key on for 3 or 4 minutes as those will cycle the pump automatically. More than likely you just need to get the air out of the fuel line and get fuel to the injectors. It's always better if you don't run these fuel injected engines out of gas.
  5. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Reseting the ECU will not hurt anything. The engine may sound odd for a few minutes until the ECU relearns the engine settings. When you reset the ECU they reset to factory default setting for a new engine.
    I would go with what NLAPOINT said. Engines with injectors do not like being ran out of fuel.
  6. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

is your trouble light on?

Usually when you run an efi out of gass, the trouble light will come on displaying a code for out of syc. You can clear the code.

Usually what we do is pull the fuel line from the fuel rail, and lightly preasurize the tank to get all the air out of the pump and lines. Reconnect the lines and cycle the pump on.

Good luck.
  7. thecrankshaft

thecrankshaft LawnSite Member

If you have a fuel pressure gauge with the bypass hose, like the Kohler Tool in the EFI kit, cycle the pump or hot wire it with the fuel pressure gauge hooked up and allow it to bypass.