06/07 Ford F-150's anyone?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by qualitylawnmanagement, Nov 23, 2006.

1. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone using these trucks to haul around their mowing equipment? I am thinking about getting an left over 06 or a 07 ext cab xlt 4x4 to pull around my 18ft trailer and a Dixie chopper. I used a 2006 same truck as above Tuesday and it hauled pretty good. I used it from 10am till 5pm that day and it did pretty good on gas. I am still trowing around the idea about getting a diesel (7.3 power stroke) or a new F-150. How much weight can these f-150 actually tow? I am think about getting a dump truck in the spring to do a mulch jobs so I can fill the trailer up and drop it off with a couple of guys and take the truck and do the mowing side so I don't have to worry about my guys goofing off and leaving the job site. How big of dump trailer could I tow with this? And how many yards can I put in the dump trailer while towing with the new F-150? And as for plowing I am going sno-way no matter what if I get the 250 power stroke or the 150 cause of dealer support. So the plows are going to be light. I can get a 99 black ford f-250 xlt ext cab 8ft bed with the 7.3 diesel for 14,000 is this a good deal? Should I get it?
  2. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

How many miles on the 99' 250.
  3. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

140,000 miles.
  4. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

I am hoping also to get a diesel truck later, although I haven't determined if I would rather drive a bigger nice truck, thats diesel, or have a camaro ss in my garage...

As for if that truck is a good deal, I wouldn't say its a bad deal, but i was looking on ebay (the ebay's buy-it-now's are normally my vehicle price guide, and normally they are a little high) and I found many with those same specifications for around $10,000-$12,000... So if I were you I would try to talk them down, although I would rather buy that truck than a new F150 because new vehicles depreciate so fast, and diesels tend to hold their value fairly well...
  5. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I think 10k-12k would be a little more reasonable.
  6. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

I've got an 06 F-150 5.4 supercab 4wd with the 3.55 rear end, it is rated for 8600 lbs. and I have maxed it out several times and it towed fine, I wish I'd been using a 3/4 ton but the F-150 is what I had.
    I wouldn't recommend towing more than the rated amount, it will do it and the state police will agree and give you their autograph to prove it.
    As for pulling mowers, I have a 16' tandem axle trailer pulling a 52" deck Toro with allof my other gear on it, I also often tow my Massey Ferguson 135 and bushhog behind this truck. For up to 7k-8k it will be fine.
    My 2004 had the 4.6 and it towed alright for what I do but I like the 5.4 alot better, more torque at low rpm's.
  7. Rizzo

Rizzo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I tow a 7x16 enclosed with my 04 supercab xlt 4x4 5.4. It is rated at 8300 lbs has 300hp and 365ft/lbs torque. With 22k miles I got it for $19k last month. That truck kicks butt towing. I've towed large campers and heavy equipment in the past with both diesel and gas and this engine performs very close to a diesel with what I pull. At work we just replaced our 2nd 7.4 ford diesel in the same truck. Each only lasted around 100k miles b4 loosing internal parts... I like keeping the truck the same fuel as the equipment in the trailer... I think you could do much better on the price for a 3/4 ton diesel with those miles. And don't buy new find a dealer that sells lease return vehicles. Low miles and you can find lots of lightly used new style f150s.