1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

06 6.0 Lemon also?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Mike33, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well last thursday my 06 F-350 6.0 would not start at a convience store with hydro-seeder behind me. Had to call buddy with dodge cummins to haul my seeder to finish while truck was towed to ford garage. They checked right away and said high pressure oil leak internal. Would be monday before parts would be in. Checked tue. am they went to put back togeather and turbo was bad, so it had to be replaced. Got truck back this afternoon. I bought it last july new and have around 25k on it. I thought this one was going to be okey different than my 03 lemon but know i wonder. I was sure impressed with my buddies cummins it had un real power pulling out with my hydro-seeder loaded. In fact where i was filliing it takes all my ford can do to pull out but the dodge i just left out on the clutch and it idled up road. Very impressing. Am in for more trouble?
    Mike

2. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

Oh boy, I hope not, I've been thinking about buying an '05 or '06 for my personal pickup, drive out to do estimates, to shop in the morning and home at night, and to put a new blade on, mainly because I want to semi-retire my 96 'stroke to only pulling the mowing trailer, and because I LOVE the grille styling on those trucks, and I have been hearing that all the problems were solved after the '04 model engines were all used up. Good luck man, keep us posted I'll be interested to see what happens. Maybe I should just stick with a 7.3, get like a late late '02 or something.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I swear to god, the only people buying fords are people who don't know any better. The Cummins trucks have so much power its unreal.

Let me say, I told ya so, because I think I did back when you bought it :)

4. Total Landscape Solutions

Total Landscape Solutions LawnSite Member

Yea get a Cummins. Great engine, with the weakest frame, great idea!!

I've had multiple body shops refer to them as "Flexi Flyers" because the frames twist and bend so easily.

Now who's the one who dosen't know any better?:hammerhead:

5. TinMan421

TinMan421 LawnSite Member

I happen to like my "Flexi Flyer" Even when I do get around to bending my frame I can still start the Cummins and keep going. intead of getting towed to the Ford dealer.

If ya get some free time. Can you put up a few links to some sites that tell about bent frames in Dodge diesels? I can't seem to find any. Maybe I'm not typing something right in the search engines.

6. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

I've never heard or seen any such thing. If you wanted to talk about automatic tranny's, I could see that maybe. I have however seen 1 year old PSD's with about 35k miles on 'em on the new car lots here with a "New motor!" sign on 'em. Might not be a bad deal now though, the local Ford dealer is advertising free engines for life right now.

7. Total Landscape Solutions

Total Landscape Solutions LawnSite Member

You know what, your right.

I can't find it on the net either, and if it's not on the net it must not really happen.

My mistake.

8. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Dodge does have a very weak frame. Why do you think you very rarely ever see one with a roll back bed on them. All the major players in the towing industry will not put a roll back on them for liability issues.

9. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

This is usually a result of someone that did not change the oil from day one or put the wrong oil in. With the psd you have to use 15-w40 and it must be diesel oil. A lot of people take their trucks to quickee oil change places that dump cheap 10-w30 in every car that comes through the joint. Most new vehcles are oil specific. They are designed to use a certain type of oil only. A lot of cars built after 2000 have to take 5-w30 full synthetic. anything else will cause major problems. It all goes back to proper maintenance. Any vehicle can last a long time, if maintained properly.

10. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Or, it could be that up until this year Dodge didn't make a truck with the straight rail frame required for mounting the roll on/roll off set ups. It's also why you don't see the newer ones with service bodies. Nothing to do with frame strength, everything to do with where the bolt holes are, and the fabrication necessary to reach them.

Ford's problems with the 6.0 are alot more extensive than just the weight of oil being run in them. The last actual number I saw put on it, Ford actually ADMITTED to shelling out $500 Million dollars in warranty repairs on the 6.0s. I don't think Ford would be paying up if it was incorrect oil like you state.