06 F-250 Powerstroke question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Kickin Your Grass, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a 06 F-250 crew cab with a powerstroke diesel. The truck has 32,000 miles. I am towing a 16' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer with all my equipment.I am getting 9.25 mpg mostly city driving. This does not seem right to me! I was expecting more.

Does anyone here have any experiance with this truck that could tell me what they are getting?
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

I tow around 5k daily and get 14 - 15 MPG in mile high altitude with the same 6.0 PSD. Without a load I can go 502 miles with 26 gallons of diesel. Mine is a 04 though.

Your getting robbed my friend.

My neighbor has an 06" PSD just like you and is having similar problems...He drove from colorado to Iowa and got 12.6MPG on the highway.

Change out both fuel filters, change oil/filter, air filter, and run a cetane boost.

Hey keep in mind though that your diesel only has 32k on it.....It doesn't break in untill 100k
  3. wellbuilt

wellbuilt LawnSite Senior Member

I get 10 around town I have a 6.0 PS . My 03 excursion 15 / 17 with the same trailer . Couldn'T tell you why?
  4. badbart

badbart LawnSite Member

Let me guess...your Excursion has the 7.3 in it?
  5. FYS777

FYS777 LawnSite Silver Member

shoulda got a dodge diesel.
  6. esnipe8

esnipe8 LawnSite Senior Member

Unfortunately that sounds right to me. We have a 2006 and 2008 both have service bodies and usually tow between 5-7k. And they both get between 9-10. Not good but tons of power!
  7. WalkerMike98

WalkerMike98 LawnSite Member

Get a cummins.
  8. castlerockmo

castlerockmo LawnSite Senior Member

My 05 6.0 got a bout the same until it hit a 100,000 now I get about 1-2 miles better, mine is also a one ton dualy u should get a little better than me. I agree the cummins get better gas mileage, but is only have the truck!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know whats wrong with your truck. I get 12mpg with my 03 F-450 that weighs 9700lbs empty and drive on 10% grades every day.

I would be checking the air filter and see if you don't have any brakes dragging.
  10. taterlawn

taterlawn LawnSite Member

My dad gets 15 in a F-450 7.3 PSD pulling a 6 horse slant heart horse trailer

Something is wrong, check your filters and injectors