06 scag 36 wb set-up ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dapozer, Sep 2, 2006.

1. dapozer

dapozer LawnSite Member

Since I still hate this machine and I have tried a bunch of stuff to make it cut and shoot right I thought I would bring it to you guys to set this thing up. I am cutting kbg at a 3 inch lever weekly and this grass is nice and thick, also a little moist. My current setting is three spacers under a mulch blade, deck is center position and I am using 2 spacers under front casters, baffle is in the lowest position. I shoot side discharge and am getting poor quality shoots from this machine. I have a 30 year old model set up the same and have no problem. It does have a different deck design though. Any suggestions.
    shawn

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Your spacers should be 3 above the blade with the deck being in the top hole out of three and the front wheel spacers one on the bottom.

3. dapozer

dapozer LawnSite Member

opps, I meant to say 3 spacers above the blade.. my bad
    That set up might work I will give it a try, How about the front baffle? up,middle,low/
    shawn

4. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You know what you do with a 36" Scag?? Sell it and get a Quick!

5. TURF DOCTOR

Yea yea sell it not,give me tommorow to make sure about the baffle.

6. dapozer

dapozer LawnSite Member

Turf doc,
    Are you sure on the top hole on the deck? This will put it in the low cut position and would look like i would not get the deck angle. low cut is 1 3/4 to 3 am, I trying to get some pitch on this thing? I am going to set it up like that and mow my yard today. Thanks
    Shawn

7. TURF DOCTOR

Bottom hole my bad,with two spacers on the front two on top and two on bottom.

8. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

I run my Tiger Cub Custom-baffle in the middle hole and I don't have any problems with it. My deck is the Advantage not the velocity so I don't no if that will help or not, but it might be worth the try. Good Luck.

9. TURF DOCTOR

To get a three inch cut do as i posted with high lifts super sharp,my turf is full of nitrogen sometimes i have to double cut at running at slow speeds,it's the turf not the mower the grass is super limber and wet it lays down when it should stand up.

10. dapozer

dapozer LawnSite Member

Well it is set as the doc said and it seemed to mow OK but still had to mow 2x. Grass was 5-6 inches and a little wet. blades were Sharp mulch type blades, deck in bottom hole, 3 spacers above blade, 2 spacers below casters, running in 3rd gear, open side, baffle in low position. Seemed to cut and dispense a little better but still need two mows, also seems to be a little long. How about running 1 spacer under casters, running hi lift blades? Should i see improvements or other between the hi lift and the mulch blades?
    Thanks
    Shawn

Also got done with the home made striper for the old school 36 today. Will play with it tomorrow to see how it does. It is a rubber stall mat made to look like a mud flap on the rear. I'll let ya know
    s