1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

06 Turf Tracer hydro problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TitanTurfCare, Sep 19, 2013.

Tags:
  1. TitanTurfCare

TitanTurfCare LawnSite Member

I have an 2006 Exmark Turf tracer 17hp 48" that I bought used. The problem I am having is when I want to turn right and I squeeze the right side ECS handle and the wheel shuts down completely. Its almost like it loses all pressure which is unlike the left side. When I want to go again the power comes back all at once causing wheel spin. I jacked the rear end up and the left side is silent, unlike the right side which has a slight whine in it. I replace the hydro filter with Emark products and no change. Has anyone every had this happen? Any suggestions?

2. TitanTurfCare

Anyone with any suggestions?

3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

From your post it sounds like there is an issue with the right side pump or something in the linkage. Did this start all at once? Only other thought I had was a loose dump valve but if that was the case it wouldn't move at all. Can you get the right wheel to reverse?

4. TitanTurfCare

Yea the reverse works good. I tightened the dump valve also. I checked the linkage and lubed everything I thought it could be. I'm thinking the pump but not sure. It would be an expensive guess if I was wrong.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Did you make sure the pump shaft lever is tight.?
    Put a magnet in the hydrotank and see if it picks up any metal...

6. TitanTurfCare

No but I can check the lever. I will try with a magnet.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. TitanTurfCare

I put a magnet in tank. There was very little fine metal pieces. To me it doesn't seem like a lot but I am no hydro genius. What do you think?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. viper8524

viper8524 LawnSite Member

Sounds like loose setscrew from the lever to pump shaft connection causing slippage between the two. Common on the TT's and TTHPs

if that's all fine, then could be a internal pump issue like sticking pistons, valve plate damage, cradle bearing sticking/damage.

9. SteveG66

SteveG66 LawnSite Member

Hey Titan, wondering if you were able to figure/fix this issue? My 2005 52" TT was doing it last year, it would almost seem like it was dragging my left wheel rather than slowing down. I thought it was just me being sloppy or careless, but your description is similar to mine, so it leads me to think there may be something amiss!!!

If anybody has some advice beyond what is already put down, I'd appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Steve G

10. TitanTurfCare

Yea. It was the pump. In fact the pump I ordered was from a toro. Same pump as used on exmark but got it almost $100 cheaper from the dealer.
    Posted via Mobile Device