07 or 08 tiger?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by P.Services, Apr 11, 2008.

1. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

im think of getting a new turf tiger with a 25hp kubota. a dealer has a 2007 for a thousand dollars less then a 2008. does any one know of any changes or differences between 07 and 08? he said there aren't any.

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Other than engine selection I don't think they have changed much since 2004-2005

3. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think I could get anyone in my area to buy a diesel if I sold it at cost or even below! Not including Ventracs (cause I classify those in a different category) we've sold 1 diesel mower in the last 5 years...just an MD Walker in 06'.

4. RTR Landscaping

RTR Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

The 2008 Tiger is a 28 HP Cat diesel instead of Kubota. The mowers are the same,except the frame extends a little furthur in the back to accomodate the new engine. My dealer says the Cat is rated with more torque but it performs really well with the kubota.I think $1000 would help me make up my mind!

5. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

diesel may be a dollar more per gallon but i think i will make up for it with the better fuel economy and longer engine life.

6. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

yes and no...you have the option of either engine in a 61" deck. In a 72 you can't buy the 25 kubota and only have the 28hp option.

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't want the 72" Scag deck because it is still the advantage deck. Not enough room for a Velocity deck that size. Not that there is anything wrong with the Advantage deck but those who have run both prefer the Velocity.

8. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

The 72" 08 with the Cat is now a velocity plus. But so far it's only on the Cat not on any other engine option.

9. TrapperJohn

TrapperJohn LawnSite Member

I ran the figures on diesel - it's around 20% higher in cost, and around 30% more efficient, so you still come out a bit ahead. A water cooled diesel will normally live quite a bit longer than an air cooled gas engine.

Only downside of a diesel is weight - they're heavy.

10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

It would be nice to mow in reverse without leaving that line of undispersed clippings though.