1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

07 Tiger Cub died and won't start now

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TX_Mudder, Apr 22, 2011.

1. TX_Mudder

TX_Mudder LawnSite Member

Hi, homeowner here with an 07 Scag Tiger Cub, 48" deck, 19hp Kawasaki motor that I bought new.

I started it up earlier and made it about a minute before it died. It acted like it was running out of gas. Tried to restart it but just got a click sound.

Got a new battery in it and now it just makes a loud, single click sound when I try to start it. The motor does not turn over at all.

What should I check and how hard is it to get to?
  2. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

First thing I'd check would be to make sure all of your safety switches are satisfied. PTO off, sticks in correct position, parking break on, etc.
    Sometimes it's easy to overlook the simplest thing.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Starter solenoid.
  4. TX_Mudder

Today I unbolted the starter but left the wires hooked up so I could test it. Well, the starter spins perfectly when it's not connected to the flywheel, so it's not the starter.

It looks like the flywheel won't turn since I've ruled out the starter. Engine has just under 50 hours on it. I've done regular oil changes. I'm having a hard time believing the engine seized. When it stopped yesterday, it acted like it was running out of gas, not like there was a mechanical break.

Any ideas?

eta: Engine is a Kawasaki 19hp FH580V.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  5. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Install the starter, remove the plugs and see if it will turn the motor over. Also try jumping the starter when installed (screw driver works for this). Most likely a safey switch or bad wire to the solinoid. Also if you get the engine spinning check for spark as a safety switch would ground the coils out.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. TX_Mudder

Spark plugs out with starter motor attached, engine does not turn. The starter makes one loud click and it sounds to me that the teeth of the starter are pushing on the flywheel but the flywheel won't move.

I tried to jump the solenoid but there's very little room between the frame and the starter and I'm finding it impossible to short it without grounding it to the body of the starter.

With the starter off the engine/flywheel, if I use the key to start the engine then the starter whirs away like it should. Pardon my ignorance, but could the starter solenoid still be bad?

With the starter off, I can feel the flywheel gear's teeth. Should I be using some sort of tool to manually spin the flywheel to make sure the engine will turn or is that a bad/stupid idea?
  7. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

The bolt that holds the clutch on (underneath the machine) or take off the top engine cover and there should be a bolt holding the fan on.

I would still try to jump the starter somehow.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. docshank

docshank LawnSite Member

With the starter removed try to turn the flywheel. If it won't turn, most likely you have a locked up engine. You can remove the belt that runs from the engine to the deck, then try to manually turn the engine over. Sometimes a clutch can fail and make it seem like the engine is locked up, but not too often. Look for anything that could physically be interfering with the rotation of the flywheel. If nothing is found, you have an internal problem with the engine.

9. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

I had a similar problem and it was a bad pto switch. I also had the saftey switch for the parking brake go. I think its a switch problem which wont let the engine start. I find it hard to believe that its the engine mine has 910 hours without any problem.
  10. bdconsoli

bdconsoli LawnSite Member

I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but if it only has 50 hrs, shouldn't it be under some sort of warranty? If not through Scag, at least Kawasaki?