'07 Yanmar Vio55

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Scag48, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

On my 2 days off at the restaurant I'm working for a buddy of mine running iron. Thought I'd post a little review about the new Yanmar Vio55 he just bought. So far I've only run it with a hoepac on the end of the stick, but the machine is very smooth. Joystick pull seems to be less than most excavators I've operated and they are short levers, not the longer style, so it's not a matter of having more leverage to achieve a smaller amount of pull. Machine is fairly stable, but like I said it's hard to tell with the hoepac on the front. Dropping the blade definately helps, but the hoepac is probably right around 800 pounds so it's hard for me to tell what the machine is like with just a bucket. Machine is equipped with a cab, I don't think it has A/C, haven't needed it yet. I feel ultra claustrophobic with the window down and the door closed, the cabs of minis are so tiny. I have no problem running a full size machine with everything closed up, but this machine makes me a little tense.

Reach is excellent with this machine, tons and tons of reach. It's hard for me to estimate, but I'd say it has the same amount of reach as a 7 ton machine or at least pretty close anyway. The only thing I don't like about this machine is the throttle lever is on the left hand side of the seat in a weird spot, makes it a little bit of an inconvenience to get to. A 55, IMO, should have a throttle dial on the right console. Travel pedals are adequate, but I've seen better. Plenty of air vents keep air circulation going, I don't think this machine has A/C as far as I can tell. Auxiliary circuit is awesome, gives the hoepac plenty of thump. The standard hydraulic pin grabber coupler is pretty nice, I'm not a fan of pin grabbers, but it's hydraulic and is operated from the cab. Definately a nice feature, our 312 had a hydraulic coupler as well. It was really nice to be able to swap buckets in less than 30 seconds. As I get a little more time on this machine I'll keep posting back. I'll get some pictures this week when I'm up working.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The last Yanmar I ran was a Mid 90's Grey B5, and it had the throttle in a real funky spot too. I think its just a yanmar thing.

3. fhdesign

fhdesign LawnSite Member

I ran a new yanmar 35 for a day last week, very nice machine. Left hand throttle wasn't so great, the blade could be a little wider, and the travel controls were not easy to use with you're feet.

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

So I'm diggin this thread up again. So far I probably have 20-30 hours in this machine, roughly. I've spent a lot of time running a hoepac, but have finally been able to do some digging. This machine tears through the ground with a 12" bucket without problem. I was digging in some heavy clay with a 24" and wasn't blown away by it's performance, I'd say crowd force could be a little better, but it certainly isn't a worthless machine. I'd like to compare it to a TB153 and see how it stacks up. Someday in the future I suppose. Stability is great, it's definately a well balanced zero swing machine. I had a larger cleanup bucket on it, I want to say it's a 40" and it handled it easily with heavy, wet material reaching over the side with ease. The hydraulic coupler is awesome except for the stupid safety pin that you have to get out and un-do every time you change. Fuel consumption is a little heavy, she burns a little fuel, not bad but not a sipper by any means. Other than that, great machine and I'd definately consider buying one if I was in the market.

[​IMG]

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I like the guards over the cylinders, and the hyd. coupler would be very nice but if you have to get out and do a safety pin there is not much difference between that and a manual pin grabber. I would like to try one sometime. Squizzy seems to like his as well. The cabs on those machines seem small even for that size of machine.

6. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

The boom looks to be kind of light duty,compared to the stick and has more bend in it where the cylinder connects, then other machines,starting at the base of the boom up,seems like.

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You need to be a bean pole to run that machine man is that cab small I couldn't run it with the window down and door closed. If you had a baked bean burrito fart you would gas yourself in the cab :laugh:

I also agree that boom looks awfully light duty and the house looks too small for its undercarriage.

If manufacturers want to sell machines to North Americans they better make the cab a little bigger don't they know we are "overweight".

8. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Never run a Yanmar........I just focused in on the side cutters on the bucket. I just put side cutters on one of my 36" buckets ( I have two: one with teeth and one with a butterblade/razor) and I love those side cutters. An incredible difference and very noticable change. My side cutters cost $250 and after running them for awhile now, very worthwhile to have.

9. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

The first thing I saw when I looked at this picture is the boom looks very cheap built. Not so sure it would hold up in heavy applications such as lifting and demo. It may look better in person. I don't really have any other complaints except maybe a little bigger cab but then that has some to do with the ZHS. It may be a great machine and would be a good starter maybe for someone like me but Im just not sold on these companies that just makes a very,very,small line of equipment and not to mention getting parts. Im sure allot of these smaller lines will do the same job just as the bog boys Cat, Case, Deere, and Komatsu but to me Id rather stick with someone that knows the market better. Even the big boys have made some junk but I feel they will stand by there machines better. I bet it does cost a good bit less than the other brands.

10. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

field,come on ,who do you think makes cats small excavators[heres a hint it isn't cat ,and Deere ? link belt?]and just for the giggles yanmar makes the highest revving most reliable marine diesel in the world,take a trip to Europe or Asia[any part you would be shocked]i hope the big boys don't let you down the way they have me!i wont buy a Buick either!:cry: